the look out honey coz im usin technology aka the garmin/powertap/srm thread

is there a particular cycling-specific garmin that does best with topo maps? I have the topo 24k maps and would like to be able to see them on my handlebar. I don’t give much a shit about strava-ish features but I’d like something small instead of the gigantic gpsmap64 that I use for hiking.

haven’t ever seen anyone put topo maps on any of the cycling garmins. can’t see them being worthwhile on the smaller units due to the small screen size.
maybe on an edge 1000? have on at work i could probably load some maps onto to see how it looks, but i don’t have a micro sd card to load them on to.

you’re asking for an older/smaller cell phone with GaiaGPS

battery life can be pretty outstanding with the sim card removed

FWIW pretty much every garmin i’ve used with mapping SUCKS to zoom in and out (which is pretty important since trails disappear when you zoom out). a smaller smart phone would be a million times better for that purpose. touching the screen on the edge 1000, it’s really easy to accidentally put down pins and do other weird shit when all you wanted to do is try to get it to show the stupid +/- buttons.

Sounds like the answer is “not worth it, deal with the gpsmap64.”

I was afraid of that.

I think that your use is more of an edge case than it should be, and I also suspect that the fact an old smartphone works so well for this that it’s not really worth it for a cycling specific head unit.

My Stages keeps blinking out with my Cateye over ANT+. I’m looking at going to the Wahoo Bolt for BTLE, since that seems to be pretty stable with my setup. About all I’ve found about the Bolt has been paid reviews, but it looks promising.

Has anyone seen or used one of the lezyne computers?

@yonderboy - seems common with the cateye. so far i’ve read nothing but great things about the bolt. seems like it’s a great deal for the price. the in hand feel reminds me a bit of a tomagotchi though.

@mig, lezyne computers seem pretty bulky and with pretty poor display resolution. i hear they’re easy to use, but just look too klunky for me.

Does the wahoo do BTLE for sensors now? It didn’t early last year.

I’ve used the lezyne. It was fine, especially considering the price.

Wahoo has done BTLE for sensors all along, just that you had no idea which protocol ti was using if it was a combo sensor and they were defaulting to ANT+ on power meters.

Pretty sure it works on BTLE now, but haven’t had any reason to test the device. They’ve had significant firmware updates that occurred around the time the bolt came out.

I’ve got a Bolt with Stages. Works pretty well. I like the Bolt, especially the size. I do have intermittent issues with dropping power (1-3 sec, not sure if dropped in the files or just on display), or being slow on the uptake (start pedaling and power shows up 1+ sec later), and what seems like cadence spiking (though maybe just a high sampling rate?). Since I got them both simultaneously I don’t know which problem comes from where. It’s not enough to really be upset by but still annoying. At least I didn’t buy a $1000 crank, I guess?

[quote=aerobear]Wahoo has done BTLE for sensors all along, just that you had no idea which protocol ti was using if it was a combo sensor and they were defaulting to ANT+ on power meters.

Pretty sure it works on BTLE now, but haven’t had any reason to test the device. They’ve had significant firmware updates that occurred around the time the bolt came out.[/quote]

I emailed and asked, and they told me that there was no BTLE for sensors, just ANT+. I can email them again.

You probably need to email both companies with this information, and see what happens. IME both are pretty responsive.

Also a tiny thing on the Bolt, the buttons are concave for some reason and collect water when it’s raining. I don’t think it will be an issue long term but I tilt it up to drain them every so often.

wahoo seems to have a cadence issue in general. do you see a cadence of 254? (guessing its a range of 0-255 due to being 8-bit). have seen that only in wahoo’s app and on their head units.

pretty much any head unit will take 2-5 seconds to pick up. in general it is not missing data. if you just watch it, there should be an equal delay to when it stops showing data when you start coasting.

whether missing data is in the file or not - depends on the unit. i’m unsure on wahoo. with ant+, each data packet overlaps by a few seconds (it takes a few seconds for accumulated torque counts to roll over and it tracks rotations based on event count, which prevents it from seeing a gap in data and sudden high count as a spike), so something 1-3 seconds long can be backfilled when it picks up another packet. there older units didn’t have the processing power to do this, but everything 810 and newer does. the stages head unit does the same thing. i ride inside occasionally in a workout room full of sensors (stationary bikes with power, kickrs that are blasting out ant+ whenever plugged in, other people riding with HR straps, etc) and it causes a lot of intereference, but always end up with 100% of the data in the file, just some drops here and there on teh display. kind of unavoidable in that kind of environment.

[quote=aerobear]wahoo seems to have a cadence issue in general. do you see a cadence of 254? (guessing its a range of 0-255 due to being 8-bit). have seen that only in wahoo’s app and on their head units.

pretty much any head unit will take 2-5 seconds to pick up. in general it is not missing data. if you just watch it, there should be an equal delay to when it stops showing data when you start coasting.

whether missing data is in the file or not - depends on the unit. i’m unsure on wahoo. with ant+, each data packet overlaps by a few seconds (it takes a few seconds for accumulated torque counts to roll over and it tracks rotations based on event count, which prevents it from seeing a gap in data and sudden high count as a spike), so something 1-3 seconds long can be backfilled when it picks up another packet. there older units didn’t have the processing power to do this, but everything 810 and newer does. the stages head unit does the same thing. i ride inside occasionally in a workout room full of sensors (stationary bikes with power, kickrs that are blasting out ant+ whenever plugged in, other people riding with HR straps, etc) and it causes a lot of intereference, but always end up with 100% of the data in the file, just some drops here and there on teh display. kind of unavoidable in that kind of environment.[/quote]

Never seen a cadence that high, no. Mostly I’ll be pedaling at a cadence I know is as steady as I can go (indoors), and it’ll jump 5-10 rpm. The average works out of course but I’ll watch it bounce and know I didn’t go from 98 to 105 to 99 in the space of five strokes. I’m curious to add my Garmin cadence sensor back in the mix, at some point.

I’ll watch for the drop off delay and check my files eventually. Thanks for suggesting that and filling us in the packet timing stuff, that’s good to know. I only started with this stuff in November and mostly just hand off files to my coach.

Indoors I’d guess you’re seeing some interference.

I think I’m going to put my garmin with speed and cadence sensors on my bullit for a month. Super interested to see what comes of it.

I put a stages on my xtracycle. The hills near my house take sikk wattz to climb with a child and groceries.