The New New Guy Thread. Your first post goes here. Seriously.

My plan was to clean them out with a safety pin if I ever need to get a tiny hex wrench in to tighten the bolt. Hoping that the Nylock nuts prevent any loosening. Haven’t had to mess with them yet.
Last week when I was riding with Rawland in some pretty thick mud, the inside nuts of the berthoud fenders were the first thing to see the mud coming off the ground and accumulation was almost immediate since the clearance between 50mm fenders and 42mm tires was so narrow. So much accumulation that I had to stop a few times to shove a stick in and roll the wheel backwards to clear it. While it looks better to have the nuts on the inside I think there are cases to be made for moving taller hardware to the outside.
In my case, the Rawland rarely goes on muddy trails while the NFE is going to be the bike I typically ride on messy trails so I chose to put the nut in the location that served the built purpose of each bike.

I dunno what the salt situation is in Seattle, but corrosion caused the wrench interface on my old ones that I had set up like that to become completely unusable.

If you’re concerned about crud building up inside a shallow button-head bolt, a piece of vinyl tape over the bolts is easily removed if you ever need to access the heads.

Motion to change new guys sn to LeSquirrelJr le Squirrel doo

Oh yeah, didn’t consider salt corrosion as a possible issue. Good point, luckily we rarely get asSALTed in Seattle, but then again, they just recently legalized it in our region so it’s possible ice paranoia could eventually grow.

I should look for some M4 bolts with a hex head to match the M5 used to secure fender to chain/seat stays.
My repair kit already has an Allen key adapter with 8 & 10mm sockets so I should be able to tighten both pieces of hardware in the field.

fenderchat

Every thread is fender chat.

Given the number of pnw bike nerds on this forum, this is inevitable.

grip kings to WI cranks has got to be a bannable offense

Given the number of pnw bike nerds on this forum, this is inevitable.[/quote]

I’m thrilled to have brought my PNW fender sensibilities to the midwest. Not sure why all these midwest dummies are riding through filthy snowmelt without fenders, but WTVR.

Better than the days of pants chat

[quote=Rusty Piton]This guy has the nuts on the OUTSIDE of his Berthoud fenders!
What a stupid piece of shit![/quote]
Rudy I actually laughed at this. I could hear the tone on it.

[quote]This guy has the nuts on the OUTSIDE of his Berthoud fenders!
What a stupid piece of shit![/quote]

I laughed too. And, yes, those bolts are frozen. Turns out 7ish years of NYC road salt on the steel/aluminum interface does bad things. They won’t come loose, though.

TC: I will never have fenders on my bike unless I move somewhere else. I have one of those folding plastic jawns if I need something for the day.

Given the number of pnw bike nerds on this forum, this is inevitable.[/quote]

I’m thrilled to have brought my PNW fender sensibilities to the midwest. Not sure why all these midwest dummies are riding through filthy snowmelt without fenders, but WTVR.[/quote]
The mind boggles.

I used fenders back in the midwest, but I also reached Tarck enlightenment like 11 years ago (or whenever we started).

or rivet the berthoud fender stays onto the blades

even more flush, and easier to drill out to remove when the fender’s dead

speaking of which, how are we celebrating the 10 year anniversary of tarck? it’s coming up soon.

That’s next month, right? Holy shit.

T-shirts!