The Tarck Approved database

I like lists. hadn’t even heard of ztto until yesterday https://goo.gl/CEVL6f

Wow the spreadsheet in that link just gave me a headache.

1 Like

Why no internal geared hubs? Surely a fresh crop of opinions to harvest, or did I miss a page?

No disco or wet dics on the database? :neutral_face:

all the wet brakes are pretty good, right? it’s just a matter of how hard you want to ball: low-end shimano or sexy hope/magura/whatnot

About to plunge blindfolded into the world of 10s/hydro shimano and not even sure if it exists. I’m just a caveman. Your cassettes with more than 9 cogs frighten and confuse me. Hydro discs at least I have learned about in the MTB world. 9s only, of course.

1 Like

derp bars? only in the 11sp cable pull ratio stuff coming in the new GRX gear.

Jesus, I really hoped to avoid gravel-specific anything. It’s a CX bike for crissakes.

3 Likes

Yup like @Blakey said, even the 4700 is 11sp cable pull ratio
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/tiagra-4700/ST-RS405-L.html

well you can use the GRX 10sp “gravel” shifters only and pair with a tiagra 4700 mech to get hydro tensp.

or you could dig up some 10sp hydroshrams and pair with ten sp MTB mechs or 10/11 sp road mechs

orrr jump from 9 to 11sp.

1 Like

I’m looking at going 1x with some donated sram 10 speed for cx this season @Blakey . How big of a sprocket can I move into on the back with a road mech and NO wolf tooth? I know I can do 40 with an old X0 mtb mech. Trying to source cheap clutch 10 speed is a PITA as well. Derailleur prices are rediculous.

not sure what the max on road 10/11sp mechs is. perhaps 32 official if wifili model? I only have x9/gx mechs with my shram shakes.

yeah, my only clutch mech is an X9 too. That would be ideal for the purpose. Need one for the ladybike too. Will keep looking.

It’s an odd situation as the wheelset I’m getting for almost nothing with this frame will not go 11spd. I suspected all along that this kind of compatibility crap was going on with “modern” drivetrains, but didn’t bother to know. I think the friend selling me this frame had it set up with SRAM and this is probably the reason. I’ve never used SRAM shifters but maybe this is the cheapest option. “Gravel specific” Shimano is humiliating but probably the best choice overall tho. :colbert:

You’re not locked into tiagra “gravel”.

There’s:
10 of 11 on the 10sp freehub
A few file strokes on the freehub to fit a road 11sp cassette if 11-34 is too broad
Use a dished HG700/HG800 11-34 11sp cassette that fits on a 10sp freehub (or other MTB 11sp cassettes that also fit 10sp freehubs)

Keep talking–I’ll need several days to absorb this strange new world.

10 Speed MTN freehub will accept 11-speed cassette with no fuckery involved

1 Like

new shimano 11s 11-34 cassettes work on most hubs with 10s freehubs. any sram road shifters and a gx “10s” sram dangler (or anything “exact actuation”- not to be confused with “x-actuation”) will be your huckleberry. i have a 36x11/40 or 42 setup on a short cage gx 10 dangler and its great.

i’ve also come to love sram road for many reasons including being real good with gloves because you can’t press the wrong button since there’s only one. plus rival shakes are very competitively priced for what they accomplish. if you want a metal ss left lever and beat up carbon 10s right sram lever on the cheap, let stalk.

1 Like

from whom? pre-microspline “11s shimano mtb” hubs are 10s that only fit an 11s cassette with a big enough big cog to dish it over the spokes. so 34 minimum

That’s great advice, I put a friend onto them and he loves it, but went to an Ali-express road link as well as he was running a roadie derailleur. With these options I cant see me going to 11 speed ever.