The Tarck Approved database

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/?cid=C-432&acid=C-436

I think this is what we’re talking about?

“8-10 speed road or 8-11sp mtb” Shimano freehubs will accept a dished (eg HG800) 11sp road cassette or MTB 11sp cassettes with no filing or spacers or sprocket removal. An 11sp Shimano road freehub will need a small spacer to fit those cassettes or 8-10sp cassettes.

Nice link! Covers way way back!

right, but they only list 40t cassettes there. there’s a (hg600?) 11-34 that fits the same 10s cassette body, but i’ve seen enough confusion that it’s worth saying out loud again that hubs with “shimano 11s mountain” that aren’t microspline is actually just 10s width, which is to say no 11s 11-32 cassette fits without filing or other fuckery

Right, ok that makes sense :+1:

i also may have had beers which make explanations more long winded…

So to recap:

4 Likes

yep- just worth noting what minimum tooth count the dish on the cassette requires, which seems to be 34

10-speed Tiagra 4700 also just got hydro shakes, so you’re not gonna have to be “humiliated” by “gravel specific” gear, whatever that means.

1 Like

Dude, I’m just being provocative. Part of it is that I think the idea of selling anything like a groupset as “gravel specific” is kind of dumb since I’ve been quite happy riding gravel on several already extant groups/frames/tires/whatever. I’m sure it’s a very fine set of parts.

Probably the real sting is that as a 9s deadender I’m just not used to paying brand new prices for anything on a transmission. People mostly just give that shit away, unless they’ve met enough of us hoarders to see a sales opportunity. If I could put together a reasonable 9s setup with hydro brakes, that’s what I’d do.

(braces giddily for the Tarckavalanche of kludges, shims and genius mods that will make that come true)

1 Like

I hear you loud and clear.

If you’ve got flat bars, hydro away

Deadender here, and seriously contemplating friction + hydros for my upcoming dicked road bike. Being able to go between 8 and 11 speeds as weather, sales/ freebies and budgets permit is really super nice.

1 Like

i mean, i’m just ribbing you right back

fwiw i am also a 3x9 deadender. Hylex + bar end is a pretty dece setup.

We cool then.
I picked up the frameset and wheels today. Wheels are built on XT hubs so the above info is highly helpful.

As a deadender at heart I have (obviously) stopped really paying much attention to the au courant options. I had the general assumption that 10s would be ever so slightly more durable than 11s, and I’m a bulky dude. The other main appeal to 10s is I would expect the bits to be cheaper and I already think 9 is enough.

Anyway, the goal here is to take my new-to-me Swiss Cross of the post-mount dick break era.
Use will be CX, dirt and yes, gravel.
Sticking with the XT wheelset.
Want hydro brakes.
And brifters.
Them’s the constraints…

ya um hydro-10 shakes hmm :neutral_face:

Sram S700 exist, and maybe used somewhere else. I have some on coffee grinder. I thought, hey, I have the other sram bits, why not? Of course I ended up getting newer dangler and pusher in the end. oops.

I was afraid of that. Given that my only experience with mechanical disc was the BB-7s on my fatbike, perhaps I have judged too hastily.

Hoping to keep it Shimano. Sounds like I need a therapist.

Even these?
JGbike Shimano M315 MT200 MTB Hydraulic Disc Brakes Set Kits for Mountain Bike - Left/Front 800mm Right/Rear 1500mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JKQLHF1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eSy6CbWXDFQFW

I’ve been considering a pair for my sundeal and a pair for the bikepacking bike.

I have these on my trance and it’s not awesome but there is nothing wrong with them. I would buy them for a non-mtb application easy.

Rad. They’re so freaking cheap.

1 Like