those 180/360 skids

So on all those videos where people just fling that frame around so fast while skidding…
how?
i’ve tried, i turn too slowly. I think if someone just kind of explained this to me step by step i could probably get it down without too much complication.

Like this, kind of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPrcgOh6VY
there are much better examples out there but I’m tired.
All help is much appreciated.
:bear: :bear: :bear:

Its all in the hips.

as you turn into it, think about your front wheel completely stopping and your back wheel swinging around about it. Basically, you want to lean your bike HARD in the direction you want to go and put your weight over the front until you’ve come about 150 degrees really fucking fast. Then, ease it back upright and more back on the bike a bit to stop spinning and complete the (half) rotation. Once you start doing them faster, you will find your bike magically keeping momentum and starting to roll backwards after the skid. It’s tempting to stop spinning and just start a hockey stop at about 90 degrees. If this is happening, you’re not leaning the bike far enough or not leading with your upper body enough (keep your eyes/shoulders looking where you want to go!) Also: I do them with my inside foot (relative to the direction I’m spinning) doing the skid, some people do them with the outside foot. You can even do them clipped in and not leaning on the bars, but I always do mine balls to stem.

drop the inside shoulder. thats it.

try doing it while skidding with one foot. put your outside foot forward up by your front while. more weight and momentum will be going in the direction that you will be turning. i find that when i do them one footed my turning radius is a lot smaller and the back swings around easier. and yea, just lean to the inside.

Just remember that you’re actually rotating on the front wheel.

just remember its completely worthless as a skill

you dont have a lot of hairpin turns on your commute?

Just remember, that was completely worthless as a post in this thread.

You really have to do stuff like this?

are you saying that skidding your bike around in a circle is a skill worth learning?

Why the hell do you ride fixed if you’re constantly making pessimistic comments like this? If you’re not having fun or have a problem with others having fun, sell your bike, go buy some sneakers and talk a walk somewhere. You sound like you need one.

Yeah, come on man. What a stupid skill. I already now how to ride a normal bike.

The worth isn’t about external rewards (although I did once pull a 180skid instead of a u-turn and a cop complimented me) like looking cool or having bike control (although yes, and yes). It’s about mastering a new skill and becoming a more complex human being. Do you go troll juggling boards so you can ask, “what’s the worth of this?” By all means, keep hating.

Also, I love you blicks.

blicks is layin down the law!!!

also, if having fun is a skill, then its definately worth learning.

try and find a nice patch of smooth pavement, it makes it easier to keep your momentum, and id reccomend learning them not clipped in, it doesnt really make it much easier.

word, I forgot the ultimate advice: do it on a slight downgrade to help ya out. That way once you’re past 90 degrees, the back of your bike will want to go in the direction of the slope.

Why the hell do you ride fixed if you’re constantly making pessimistic comments like this? If you’re not having fun or have a problem with others having fun, sell your bike, go buy some sneakers and talk a walk somewhere. You sound like you need one.[/quote]

since when does riding fixed automatically mean i have to support everything and everyone? go ahead, fun is fun, but it’s still completely worthless as a skill.

and ocean, the fact that you equate doing something like the topic at hand with all of riding fixed makes you too stupid to even argue with.

The fact that you can’t see the similarities through my rhetoric makes you an ignorant fuck.

You ride a fixedgear bike only because it’s low-maintenance then, right? I mean, you can’t be having fun on it, you hypocritical shit. Guess what. You ride a fixedgear bike because it’s fun, JUST LIKE ALL OF US. And now you’re hating on us for doing something just for fun. I really can’t take this anymore. I cannot COMPEREHEND how someone on a geared bike is always yelling at someone on a fixedgear with a front brake, who is yelling at someone on a fixedgear with no brakes, who is yelling at someone on a fixedgear doing tricks. I CAN’T TAKE THE HYPOCRISY ANYMORE. EVERYONE GET FUCKED.

yeah dude why dont we all just get along maaaaan

A 180 skid isn’t useless, it can be used when one wishes to do a 180 skid. :colbert:

Also, you’re a jerk.

A 180 skid isn’t useless, it can be used when one wishes to do a 180 skid. :colbert:

Also, you’re a jerk.[/quote]

:cry: