Tire Chat

Because the knobs are annoying on pavement. And none of the other 47_50 mm tires we’re discussing have knobs

I thought I had seen a 500+ g figure for the rampart, but I could be mistaken. Remember that the casing on the horizon is wtbs “light” casing. I couldn’t expect the teravail to be any more supple

Edit not actually saying I would shave knobs off a thunder burt, just that that’s the only way to get a tire in this size class that’s not compass and more supple than the horizon

It’s amazing what we get used to.

I’m restoring my Broakland road bike, and got the tires back on. Holy mackerel, 27mm actual width road tires on Archetypes look unbelievably narrow and rickety. I remember when that seemed like an impossibly plush configuration.

Because the knobs are annoying on pavement. And none of the other 47_50 mm tires we’re discussing have knobs

I thought I had seen a 500+ g figure for the rampart, but I could be mistaken. Remember that the casing on the horizon is wtbs “light” casing. I couldn’t expect the teravail to be any more supple

Edit not actually saying I would shave knobs off a thunder burt, just that that’s the only way to get a tire in this size class that’s not compass and more supple than the horizon[/quote]

you mean the side knobs or what? I found either the side knobs or the shape of the tire off-putting at first but then the tire wore in a bit and now I don’t even notice them.

[quote=iwillbe]It’s amazing what we get used to.

I’m restoring my Broakland road bike, and got the tires back on. Holy mackerel, 27mm actual width road tires on Archetypes look unbelievably narrow and rickety. I remember when that seemed like an impossibly plush configuration.[/quote]

right?
now try riding some 23s and see how long you can last

Well lookie here:

Yeah the side knobs. Always squirmed on me on hard surfaces

Horizons changed several times though in parallel, so it’s hard to keep track

The tread rubber isn’t so crazy thick anymore, but the more reddish-colored sidewalls seem stouter? They’re also smaller than they used to be, and don’t tubeless with a floor pump for me anymore…

The light/supple Teravail Rampart came in at 496 grams (650B x 47) on my scale.

fascinating. in an email response, they said it was 590 and 583. looking forward to hearing how they roll in supple flavor.

Currenlty Gravel King in 42mm sizeway, (T)ube(L)ess©ompatible version. I had to order from Eurolandia as I couldn’t find anyone in the US selling anything but the 48mm. No drama, would buy again. Curious about Pari-Moto TLC version, but as far as I can tell it’s a unicorn tire.

[quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=iwillbe]It’s amazing what we get used to.

I’m restoring my Broakland road bike, and got the tires back on. Holy mackerel, 27mm actual width road tires on Archetypes look unbelievably narrow and rickety. I remember when that seemed like an impossibly plush configuration.[/quote]

right?
now try riding some 23s and see how long you can last[/quote]
Friday night I rode a rat traps pass for 4 hours. Then on Saturday morning I rode a 27inch wheel with what looks like a 19mm or 20mm tire, for 25 mins, to the airport. It was brutal.

How horrible are these for 26" monster cross slick commuters for my forthcoming basket bike?
Conti sport contact 26x1.6
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Sport-Contact-Tire-Wire/dp/B01LW69KS7

Kyle, I put these guys on my commuter bike and, in their limited use, I am enjoying them so far. The price is certainly right to experiment with them, which is what I consider myself to be doing.

Yeah, I’ve seen those on here before. I was hoping to go more filetread, unless you can convince me that these are just as smooth rolling.

29x2.4" tubeless mtb tires similar to Exo Ardents? Slightly bigger is fine too. I feel like Ardents are pretty good.

Was about to tubeless mine and realized they’re not the TR version so got to open the wallet :frowning:

I’m kinda not very well versed in Maxxis tires, but it looks like your run of the mill aggressive-tread front tyre. Pick any of:
Schwalbe Magic Mary. (Nobby nic for more xc/allround)
Specialized Butcher. (Purgatory for rear or Hillbilly for more gnar/mud/loose front tyre)
WTB Vigilante.
Bontrager SE5.
Maxxis High roller II or DHF.

[quote=lukasz]29x2.4" tubeless mtb tires similar to Exo Ardents? Slightly bigger is fine too. I feel like Ardents are pretty good.

Was about to tubeless mine and realized they’re not the TR version so got to open the wallet :([/quote]
I was on my Rat Trap Passes friday night and was amazed at how fast my buddy was rolling on his Ardents (on the seal) . They still the goto poop-barn tire over here. One another ride, one of my LBS guys was raving about the Butchers tho, in the real shitty conditions kind of stuff, wet, gnarly, rooty.

[quote=lukasz]29x2.4" tubeless mtb tires similar to Exo Ardents? Slightly bigger is fine too. I feel like Ardents are pretty good.

Was about to tubeless mine and realized they’re not the TR version so got to open the wallet :([/quote]
I ran ardents for a few years that were not TR, but they tublessed up just fine.
I think thought someone else confirmed it here that maxxis were always fine without the TR on the sidewall.

i have continental contact 2 in 32mm on my surly steamroller. they dont feel good. stiff as heck.
whats better for not more than $40 a tire?

Basically anything, but Panaracer Gravel Kings are legit for that price.