Tire Chat

[quote=TimArchyLime]How horrible are these for 26" monster cross slick commuters for my forthcoming basket bike?
Conti sport contact 26x1.6
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Sport-Contact-Tire-Wire/dp/B01LW69KS7[/quote]

ATMO:

Perfect, will do. Thanks

What 700x25c tubular tires should I purchase for paved road riding only?

I accidentally’d some tubular wheels (for real accident, I thought they were clinchers). Thinking of just rolling with it and glueing up some tires, which I have never done before.

Edit: not sure how much these things run, but sub-$50 a tire highly preferred. Blackwall if possible.

[quote=liquify][quote=lukasz]29x2.4" tubeless mtb tires similar to Exo Ardents? Slightly bigger is fine too. I feel like Ardents are pretty good.

Was about to tubeless mine and realized they’re not the TR version so got to open the wallet :([/quote]
I ran ardents for a few years that were not TR, but they tublessed up just fine.
I think thought someone else confirmed it here that maxxis were always fine without the TR on the sidewall.[/quote]

Yeah I suspect they are tried and true but I’m also using old Velocity P35 rims. Just feels kind of janky in 2018. I feel like at least the rim or tire should be tubeless-approved.

[quote=jimmythefly][quote=TimArchyLime]How horrible are these for 26" monster cross slick commuters for my forthcoming basket bike?
Conti sport contact 26x1.6
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Sport-Contact-Tire-Wire/dp/B01LW69KS7[/quote]

ATMO:
https://www.modernbike.com/tioga-powerblock-26-x-2.1-folding-tire[/quote]

Yeah, this is a better answer. Kyle, if you want those tires HMU and I can get you a set I already have in stock.

Do Byways have a long lifespan like Horizons do? I want to replace the Fast Traks on my Paramount and want to know if the shoulder knobs and thinner tread will greatly shorten my tire life.

It’s my commuting basket bike. 80:20 road to dirt ratio.

Actually shit are the TR Maxxis tires even UST? Kind of seems like they only change the sidewall. They have that L.U.S.T. series of tires too, but no 2.4" Ardent there. Maybe I already have the “TR” tire but without a logo on the sidewall, as Frank was saying?

Continental Sprinter for durability, but not a spectacular ride quality. I just bought Vittorias for the first time (probikekit). I’ve heard they have the best balance of ride quality and durability. I normally use Veloflex, but they are a bit pricey. Ride quality is awesome.

When you get down to $50/tire tubulars you’re going to be riding a tire that is substantially and noticeably worse than a similarly priced clincher. I’m not a tubular expert but I have some experience on really nice tires (Dugast, FMB) and then some super shitty ones, I think Sprinters and a Tufo, that were on and off my bike as spares.

Get some really nice tires and then (gasp) dump a little sealant in them if you want to be safe. I tried that once or twice and I couldn’t detect a difference in ride feel.

Hey look what I found in my basement. They are at least 3 years old but should be okay. You can have a shitty sprinter too.

pm me.

Whoa, giving me vsalad tubular koolaid flashbacks here. Sold the group buy FMBs I had after trying to get the used Veloflex off the Record/Nemesis wheels I overpaid for but just had to have. Still need to sell those wheels.

Ended up yoloing on the Nachos Pass for basketbiek, they’re much less ample that advertised. A few mm wouldn’t be so bad, but they’re only measuring out at 1.5". And given the Jan Heine level of tire-fender clearance that now exists, pretty sure the rats ass pass would have fit fine. Oh well, they seem nice and the bike is already noticeably lighter.

i feel like nachos pass is gonna be crust’s first foray into the tire world. 27.5x3.25" file tread

though it might be called “dutchie pass” as well

[quote=Recumbentist]Hey look what I found in my basement. They are at least 3 years old but should be okay. You can have a shitty sprinter too.

pm me.[/quote]

ILU ferg.

jimmy send him that PM and put some stan’s sealant in those tires. enjoy.

[quote=cookietruck][quote=Recumbentist]Hey look what I found in my basement. They are at least 3 years old but should be okay. You can have a shitty sprinter too.

pm me.[/quote]

ILU ferg.

jimmy send him that PM and put some stan’s sealant in those tires. enjoy.[/quote]
[color=#f90]ORANGE SEAL[/color]

[quote=puelnewdle]Whoa, giving me vsalad tubular koolaid flashbacks here. Sold the group buy FMBs I had after trying to get the used Veloflex off the Record/Nemesis wheels I overpaid for but just had to have. Still need to sell those wheels.
[/quote]

Oh geez you got vsalonned HARD. At least the Kirk frameset is a genuinely good bike, by all accounts.

No shit. At least I didn’t buy those wheels new WHICH I BASICALLY DID (but was able to back out and have the set built that’s on it now).

[quote=kmcdon][quote=cookietruck][quote=Recumbentist]Hey look what I found in my basement. They are at least 3 years old but should be okay. You can have a shitty sprinter too.

pm me.[/quote]

ILU ferg.

jimmy send him that PM and put some stan’s sealant in those tires. enjoy.[/quote]
[color=#f90]ORANGE SEAL[/color][/quote]

stans worked awesome a few years ago when i was riding tubs all the time, specifically with tires with latex tubes.
had it in some conti stehers with butyl tubes and it let me down…

on the subjet of tubular tires, i haven’t tried to find the best pricing but i see there are some 28mm and even 30mm tubular road tires now
that’s pretty sweet, though i still have a bunch of 25mm tubs that i need to use so i probably won’t buy any new tires…

Caffelatex for tubulars. Rumor is that it is less likely to eat your fine latex inner tube.