Tire Chat

[quote=cookietruck][quote=kmcdon][quote=cookietruck][quote=Recumbentist]Hey look what I found in my basement. They are at least 3 years old but should be okay. You can have a shitty sprinter too.

pm me.[/quote]

ILU ferg.

jimmy send him that PM and put some stan’s sealant in those tires. enjoy.[/quote]
[color=#f90]ORANGE SEAL[/color][/quote]

stans worked awesome a few years ago when i was riding tubs all the time, specifically with tires with latex tubes.
had it in some conti stehers with butyl tubes and it let me down…[/quote]

What’s the verdict on latex + sealant? I ask because I am not willing to attempt tubeless on my road bike, and was wondering bout putting orange seal into latex tubes.

Stupid idea, or best idea?

I know for a fact that Caffelatex works fine in high-quality tubulars with latex tubes. Can’t speak to any others.

And just a DC (probably dumb comment because I’m sure you already know this) – don’t use latex if you have rim brake carbon rims.

Caffelatex or Vittoria Pit Stop are what the trackies use.

I don’t have those, but why? Is it a heat thing?

Yes they will melt. I didn’t know that when I got my first carbon rims. Although nothing bad happened, when I did finally get a routine puncture, I popped the tire and attempted to remove the latex tubes–they were basically glued inside the rims, presumably from melting a little.

Whoa thanks Ferg! Unfortunately I do have carpet fiber rims. But I think I’ve got it all sorted.

I was talking about latex tubes in carbon clinchers…it’s fine in a tubular.

Does all set mean you don’t want them?

Yeah I will pass. Going to sell these tubular wheels and go with clinchers. The more I think about it, messing about with tubs is not what I need to be doing right now.

Thanks again tho.

Heh I still have some tubulars and veloflex roubaix in basement. Maybe I’ll grab those from you next time I’m up there. Just leave em in the mailbox :wink:

the hoarder in me wants to say send them down here…but he already sent me a pair of fmb’s!!! …someone else should use them…

[quote=jimmythefly]Yeah I will pass. Going to sell these tubular wheels and go with clinchers. The more I think about it, messing about with tubs is not what I need to be doing right now.

Thanks again tho.[/quote]

I think everyone should try tubulars for a while, it’s quite entertaining, albeit kind of a pointless time suck.

I actually think these would go really nicely on the fixed gear I plan to roll around the city on in fair weather. I almost have all the parts for it, including a campy carbon crank. The frame itself is an old black on black cdale capo with a huge top tube dent, lol.

Is that a ludicrous enough use for tarck?

You are not skidding on my FMBs

ferg, what width are those tires? I might be interested.

lol

I use brakes man. Skidding was cool when I was 8 (also on dirt sometimes).

I actually think these would go really nicely on the fixed gear I plan to roll around the city on in fair weather. I almost have all the parts for it, including a campy carbon crank. The frame itself is an old black on black cdale capo with a huge top tube dent, lol.

Is that a ludicrous enough use for tarck?[/quote]

Ha, that’s pretty close to the only use mine ever received, minus the fixed part, but with a more vintage flair.

I’m prolly gonna destroy my veloflex rouabaix on this bike if/when I ever finish it. When the hell else am I going to ride tubulars?

25 mm. Are you going to race on them?

lol

I use brakes man. Skidding was cool when I was 8 (also on dirt sometimes).[/quote]

That would still be a very sad use of FMBs, especially these :slight_smile: WOuld you like a Sprinter?

It would add an air of respectability to my rides to and from various bars.