Tire Chat

didnt you get like super wide rims? i thought the whole point was to use giant tires? and dont jones fit like 2.4+?

No I did not get super wide rims, and no I have no need or desire to use super giant tires. Jones fit enormous tires, but that’s not why I got the bike. Maybe it will be useful in the winter? Probably not since I am fine riding my road bike in the winter and happy to stay inside when the roads aren’t plowed.

Mig is about to tell you to get an Endpoint

[quote=kmcdon]nuked a byway this weekend somehow. Something went through the tread, out the bead, and smanged up my rim. Rim seems fine but orange seal won’t even fix it.

So it gets a tube and goes on LB’s soma whilst I run some bee-lines on the endpoint for the rest of the summer.

There’s no feeling quite like grabbing some brake on a 30mph gravel descent only to realize you’ve got about 2psi in your tire. (did not fall, somehow)[/quote]

something just blew out my rear horizon in a similar fashion. ~200 miles on it, woof

Well my dhr II with approx 30 miles on it failed at the bead and blew off my rim, luckily on a straight at the bike park.
And maxxis is notoriously slow about warranty ish.

[quote=imoscardotcom][quote=kmcdon]nuked a byway this weekend somehow. Something went through the tread, out the bead, and smanged up my rim. Rim seems fine but orange seal won’t even fix it.

So it gets a tube and goes on LB’s soma whilst I run some bee-lines on the endpoint for the rest of the summer.

There’s no feeling quite like grabbing some brake on a 30mph gravel descent only to realize you’ve got about 2psi in your tire. (did not fall, somehow)[/quote]

something just blew out my rear horizon in a similar fashion. ~200 miles on it, woof[/quote]

Ouch, nothing worse than destroying a new tire. I got less than 200 miles on some Switchback Hills before ripping the sidewall open.

Horizons did pretty good though, just checked and they had 6,075 miles before I retired them, no big holes or cuts, probably could have kept going for a bit longer.

Haven’t people stitched sidewalls on tubeless tires and a radial tire patch and it was totally fixed?

Yeah, I’ve done this a dozen times. Literally every mountain bike tire I have is stitched together.

I got a piece of metal through the tread and out the sidewall of my Horizon, and it flatted, of course (and damaged the frame). I put a tube in and rode home. To fix it, I just reupped the Orange Seal I had dumped on the side of the road (sorry, but there was literally no other option), reseated the tire, and then leaned the tire over on the punctured side for a day while I was at work.

If I had really cared, I would have popped the tire off, cleaned up the spot, and repaired it with a regular inner tube patch, but since the sealant worked so well, I just forgot about it and rode another 5000 miles.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]
I got a piece of metal through the tread and out the sidewall of my Horizon, and it flatted, of course (and damaged the frame). I put a tube in and rode home. To fix it, I just reupped the Orange Seal I had dumped on the side of the road (sorry, but there was literally no other option)[/quote]

Isn’t sealant biodegradable?

Orange Seal has glitter in it, which is literally one of the worst things poisoning the ocean.

oh fuck

feel like I could never find the PSI sweet spot with the horizons, albeit in the very minimal time spent on them

Just noticed the rotation arrow on my front Byway is pointing backwards…woops

Do those little chevrons in the middle section really constitute directional tread?

Antelope Hills now mounted

supple

would babyshoe pass tires in light/supple casing be a bad idea?
I ride a lot in the city of Cincinnati
which is notorious for being nasty
I am talking about glass/wire. Will they die instantly?
keep in mind I am of the climber build quality.

Pulled off a ~3 year old Rat Trap Pass.

Holy shit, I seriously have a Mr.Tuffy-sized strip of dried-out Orange seal in that tire. It’s noticeably heavier than the new one that replaced it.

[quote=turpencat]would babyshoe pass tires in light/supple casing be a bad idea?
I ride a lot in the city of Cincinnati
which is notorious for being nasty
I am talking about glass/wire. Will they die instantly?
keep in mind I am of the climber build quality.[/quote]

All I can say is that I rode Grand Bois/Compass tires with tubes and some quite delicate tubulars in NYC for years without an undue number of flats. Can’t remember if extralite came before or after I moved all my bikes upstate though.

So apparently the carcass on the Antelope Hill is quite a bit bigger than for a 29 x 2.4 mountain bike tire, presumably because MTB measurements include the tread?

yep

re: compass and cities: I’d run 'em tubeless. If with tubes, then I would not use them.