Tire Chat

as always, actively ignore statements from the Cult Leader about anything easily measured or googled

they were 52-53mm tubeless on i23 rims for my rocket scientist friend: Denny Trimble on Instagram: "Fit check - new Compass Antelope Hill 700 x 55. They fit the Wolverine just fine, even with fenders! They measure 52-53mm wide on 23mm internal rims, and have 4mm clearance to each chainstay. #compasstires #supplelyfe #somafab"

(maaaybe 1mm bigger than 2.1" Thunder Burts)

lol I see by the last photo that the tubeless bead still sucks

Was sort of curious about running Antelope Hills on my Rabbit Hole rims but its sounding like they are just a little too small for that. That’s fine, weirdly the Antelope Hills with either casing aren’t really improving on the weights of Schwalbe’s giant tires, which somehow I anticipate would be more durable (or at least be actually tubeless)

What’s weird is that the new tubeless-ready Panaracer tires don’t seem to suffer nearly as much.

Just spent almost $200 on babyshoes.
I’m gonna fucking hate it.
Flat city here I come.

[quote=turpencat]Just spent almost $200 on babyshoes.
Flat city here I come.[/quote]
I did babyshoes + tubes for a long time and punctures were rare. They probably could’ve been avoided all together if I checked for glass occasionally.

I switched over to Thunder Butts on my NFE a couple of days ago, and used my free bottle of Slime sealant. So far it kind of sucks - lots of the normal small punctures in the casing that other sealants close immediately stayed open for more than a day with the Slime, and I had to keep pumping up the tires from literally atmospheric pressure. After two days, it’s finally holding air.

It’s been hard to get a true read on the tires, because the pressure has been so squirrely (and I keep over-inflating them on my way out the door, so that I don’t go totally flat on my way to work), but these tires do not feel noticeably heavier than the Horizons they are replacing, and despite the knobs, they actually seem to be as “fast”. So far though, my experience is limited to a handful of commutes. It’ll take a read ride to see if it makes a difference.

[quote=turpencat]Just spent almost $200 on babyshoes.

idk how many times I have to say this re: compass tires

put. orange. seal. in. the. tube.

seriously

just do it, never worry about flats again unless you’re riding over shit that’s going to rip the sidewall.

lets talk tariffs and tires

which tires should get hoarded for the next few years?

I’m going to be using these tubeless.
As is the style at the time

Orange seal endurance is my space goop of choice.

Oh.

I don’t envision you getting many flats then.

[quote=jdsmooth][quote=turpencat]Just spent almost $200 on babyshoes.
I did babyshoes + tubes for a long time and punctures were rare. They probably could’ve been avoided all together if I checked for glass occasionally.[/quote]
My experience corroborates this.

Datapoint for Orange Seal endurance (2oz per tire) fully drying out in brand new Babyshoe Pass Tire: exactly 6 months
Reminder to refresh your sealant if you are approaching.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener]I switched over to Thunder Butts on my NFE a couple of days ago, and used my free bottle of Slime sealant. So far it kind of sucks - lots of the normal small punctures in the casing that other sealants close immediately stayed open for more than a day with the Slime, and I had to keep pumping up the tires from literally atmospheric pressure. After two days, it’s finally holding air.

It’s been hard to get a true read on the tires, because the pressure has been so squirrely (and I keep over-inflating them on my way out the door, so that I don’t go totally flat on my way to work), but these tires do not feel noticeably heavier than the Horizons they are replacing, and despite the knobs, they actually seem to be as “fast”. So far though, my experience is limited to a handful of commutes. It’ll take a read ride to see if it makes a difference.[/quote]

Fuck this Slime bullshit. Not surprisingly, after a full week, it was still failing to hold a tire’s pressure for more than ~24 hours. After getting sick of coming back to my bike to find one or two flat tires, I pulled out the Slime, tossed it in the trash, and replaced it with Orange Seal. I’ll never stray again.

Orange Seal Sub-Zero is the good shit.

what about the finish line stuff?

[quote=Recumbentist]Antelope Hills now mounted

[/quote]
What bike have to got them on? Any first impressions? Were they a pain to get aligned correctly? I’d like to have a go with them but I guess they would be stupid (er) money by the time they got here.

Can we talk about those Orange Seal injector tubes that come with Orange Seal Endurance?

I’m withholding judgement until I try a few different brand tubeless valves but why do they continue shipping bottles with this injector?
They do not work AT ALL with the endurance formula and the two brands of valves I have.
The glitter crams up in the valve and creates a blockage every single time (yes, I do shake up the bottle really well).
Then you gotta pop the bead off the shelf, use the dipstick to push out the little butt plug of glitter (from the inside) and dump the sealant directly in the tube.

Has anyone had success with the injector tube with a specific tubeless valve?
So far Light Bicycle & Industry 9 valves both consistently clog up.

I can only assume the injector tube was developed for the original Orange Seal formula and then they just continued shipping with the glitterized endurance formula.

Are you removing the core? Works fine for me as long as I inject it through the valve with the core removed.

New Q

Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic?

For general all-purpose mountain biking in the Seattle/PNW. Both 2.8in. Both would be set up tubeless on 40mm Scraper rims.