Tire Chat

all I wanted was the perfect 28mm wide tire, just one truly good 28mm wide tire and they wouldn’t give it to me[/quote]

i think the perfect 28mm tyre is the 27mm fmb paris roubaix
the 25mm ones i had were awesome
but so expensive[/quote]

The 27’s measure 29mm at 60psi

I was waiting for pictures from elsewhere as I only got video, but Hutchinson is coming out with a 28mm road tubeless tire. “Monster” something. Looked cool.

Considering their “25” is more like a 22 I’m skeptical.

The 22 is actually 22 though.

Heard somewhere that the new 28mm tire is true to size, and is pretty much what they’d been testing at the classics races a few years back.

Looked true to size in person.

gp4season not good enough? that tire is real supple once it starts getting thin… better and better until it finally dies.

I run those on the roadie in the off season. They are good but nowhere near 28mm

oh yeah, this reminds me… bontrager does some of their cheaper road tires in 28 mm with some fancy versions on the way, if not already released. their tires have improved a lot.

-edit- apparently just the r1 available for now: http://bontrager.com/model/08646

r3 is in the works i think.

new challenge clincher
marked 30mm

Looks cool. Will the tread fall off the casing after 500 miles?

I’m experiencing tread falling off the casing on one of my Fangos after like 40 miles. Sucks. Need to deal with it this week.

paging buffalobill: what’s this chatter about a more supple, lighter, all black grand bois hetre/cypres? yan heiny gonna import?

You’re referring to the news of superlight versions of the Hetre, Cypres, and Col de Madeline that was posted on the 650b list (which I moderate): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/650b/1JwTSjxTlg8

Those “Extra Legere” tires still have tan sidewalls, and looking at the texture they’ll probably be even bigger filth magnets. Jan will definitely be importing those.

The all-black Cypres prototype is from earlier this summer, our man Blakey’s shop in Melbourne got them since they have a relationship with GB that Heiney has no involvement in (On-One did too but dropped them).

Jan’s historical reenactment boner is so massive as to have it’s own gravity field bending light and facts alike, he’s now unwilling to use non-tan tires himself. He pretends that the tan and black Pari-Motos are identical in performance, despite them having an obviously nicer handfeel, nearly double the threadcount, and being 20-30g lighter. He sat on a review set of the Hutchinson Confriere tires for a year while instead using 650b Cypres on his vintage bike because the sidewalls were the color grey (he eventually passed em on to Lynne Fitzsimmons, and later started selling them for double the EU street price).

I would guess that those all-black prototypes were abandoned primarily because of their effect on the boners of Heiney and friends, with the new EL casing being a black-free alternative. Don’t know at present whether they’re the same 127tpi cords with an ingredient substitution, or an actually new development.

Early review from shopbro/builderbro: “I’ve been using the lightweight 30mm cypres. They rule. Stupid light, nice at low pressure, no flats yet (though they cannot actually be good on that score methinks).”

Will post link when review is live

So from the above, am I to understand that the black cypres have a higher thread count and better construction?

[quote=Dirty Sanchez]
Jan’s historical reenactment boner is so massive as to have it’s own gravity field bending light and facts alike[/quote]

I want this printed on a bumper sticker. So many Lulz

so, basically the superior all-black cypres/hetre is in limbo because JH wont import, GB wont distribute because of fashion?

fuck that. cut these two bozos out, panaracer.

blakey - your shop selling them?

I don’t doubt that the new EL casing is at least as good technically as the existing black one

just unnecessarily a filth magnet

Does Jan have exclusivity on GB tyres being imported to the US? You can’t order direct from I’s Bicycle? (their English is fine via email, I’ve ordered once direct from them)

My lbs will sell them once they’re available, I can always get a package mailed to the US if need be.

He at least believes that he has exclusivity.

http://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/T650_F42_EL.html
http://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/T700_F30_EL.html

The description there for the EL Hetre states that the exact size is 38.5mm instead of around 41.5mm, but with almost the same height. Weird shit if that’s true, though they’d still be pretty differentiated from the Pari-Moto by having an extra 80g of rubber in the middle lending them a rather different ride quality that favors lower pressures.