Tire collections

Lotta junk up there:

if they’re not too bad i do. cuz i cut off the beads and put them inside other tires as added puncture protection. heavier but for a daily bike reliability trumps weight.

I’d rather deal with the one flat I get every six months than weigh my wheels down rolling around on four tires. Even a Tuffy strip makes a skinny tire ride like absolute shit. Anyway, my point wasn’t that it’s stupid to find new uses for old tires, just that it’s stupid to hold on to your worn out tires as notches in your fixed-gear bedpost.

I stripped some of the aramid cloth out of one of my old tires to use as tire boots. works ok.

The fuck is a tire boot?

Got a hole in yo tire dawg?

We put a tire in yo tire so you can ride yo tirez while you ride tirez.

heh?!

if they’re not too bad i do. cuz i cut off the beads and put them inside other tires as added puncture protection. heavier but for a daily bike reliability trumps weight.[/quote]
I agree with BoneC about ride quality, atmo for a city/commuter the protection is priority. Do you have tips for making sure it doesn’t cause problems of it’s own?

[quote=trackatino]

I guess keeping your skidded through tires is about the cycling equivalent to keeping your old snapped skateboard decks. I remember back in the day, friends with 2ft. plus stacks.[/quote]

im guilty of that.

meh, it’ not that bad. feels way better than a tuffy strip in my opinion (fuck atmo), and bay area roads suck. i was getting flats multiple times every week or two until i started this.

I have a few lying around that are good that I pulled from another bike, or were changed out when I tried another size or tread or something. But old worn out tires just get tossed in the recycling bin at a shop down the street from my house.

I should have gotten a picture of it, but in our back room at the shop there were about 65 or 70 used tires. A few were taken off bikes and tossed out but never made it to the dumpster, but nearly all of them were donated. Why? NO IDEA. But it was a ridiculous pile of trash. It finally got cleaned up after hours when one of the other guys sat down and sorted out the junk from the decent stuff. Something like 10 or 12 tires were still good enough to keep, everything else got trashed.

i own none at all

All of that wins.

I had 14 or so usable tires at one point, I gave all but 2 away for polo riding, no reason to keep em since I wasn’t likely to ride em.

[quote=trackatino]I don’t keep dead tires around, but I for sure stockpile used/dumpster finds for later use as rear tires.

I guess keeping your skidded through tires is about the cycling equivalent to keeping your old snapped skateboard decks. I remember back in the day, friends with 2ft. plus stacks. No one ever kept old coned out urethane, or grinded out trucks, though.[/quote]

where do all you people get dumpster tires (and frames!?) ? i got nothing over here.

might spring for a vit rando in the morning. not planning on saving the skid through ultrasport or buying one every 3 months.

No idea where people get dumpster frames that aren’t wrecked or total crap, but dumpster tires are really not that hard to come by. Either establish a good relationship with your LBS and get first dibs on the GP4000 that some rich guy decided wasn’t worth riding anymore after his first flat, or figure out the shops that leave their tires out at the dumpsters and come by every so often. Of course, it should be said that you should be inspecting the hell out of each tire before taking it because some tires really are their legitimately. I run dumpster tires pretty much exclusively as fixed rears…

me too, i haven’t used non-dumpster tires in ages. i did once, but wore out more quickly than some dumpster ones i’ve had, so i’m sticking to dumpster tires. plus once they wear out, it’s no loss.