Track Chat

there are quite a few fast canadians about, hey?

did my first flying 200 and kilo today, 14sec flat/1:20.6

My 200 was hilariously bad, no warmup & i took a horrible line. whatever. get there earlier next time, and maybe gear up a bit more. 500 felt good, did the gate for the first time and pretty OK about the effort. Track is so weird, all that for <2 min on the track!

Race class is next weekend, hopefully getting into the longer races soon. Doubt i’ll ever be much of a sprinter anyways.

sprinters aren’t real cyclist anyways.

i’m on the waitinglist for the race class. been going to a good number of drop-ins though. so rad to ride in a heated environment when it’s freezing outside.

tire blew off bead on this guys bike

oops

150 PSI MAN!

Only works with tubs lol

Anyone seen a 52-54 track bike for sale locally? Homeboy is looking and vancouver is slim pickings

kinda big, dough

also, had a good track day today. i usually try and fit a 2x20 in a one hour sesh, which i did again tonight and i definitely feel like it’s been paying off. rode a paceline with three other dudes and spent some time behind a guy with a garmin under his seat which was nice to get some feedback.

i’d definitely underestimated how fast we were going, which was a pleasant surprise. feeling a lot more comfortable keeping 115-120rpm for long periods of time now.

the one thing is that my butt hurts. using a saddle i’m comfortable with, fit is fine, i’m guessing it’s probably a mix of cadence, not standing and centrifugal force? kinda hoping i get used to it.

If you have any friends that are Guru dealers, they are getting out of the track bike game and closing out their framesets for like $250 with frame and fork.

donno any people with accounts, only dealers are out in the burbs

we found a 52 fuji track pro for him, the owner is feeling the holiday squeeze and cut 200 bucks off the asking price.

i was having some butt issues too, switched saddles around a bunch and they have vanished. fwiw i don’t really like the saddle on the road but whatever works.

playing the devil would be fun if it wasn’t so much damn work!

Do you have a line on any locally?

[quote=bobbythehawk]
i was having some butt issues too, switched saddles around a bunch and they have vanished. fwiw i don’t really like the saddle on the road but whatever works.[/quote]

i went from a toupe, which has a very sharp cutoff, to some forte knock off of a SLR or some such, much more rounded wings. not likely a saddle that would be comfortable for a long period of time, but so far my taint is digging it.

also, i am officially cleared to race.

[quote=y]http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1892812/

kinda big, dough

also, had a good track day today. i usually try and fit a 2x20 in a one hour sesh, which i did again tonight and i definitely feel like it’s been paying off. rode a paceline with three other dudes and spent some time behind a guy with a garmin under his seat which was nice to get some feedback.

i’d definitely underestimated how fast we were going, which was a pleasant surprise. feeling a lot more comfortable keeping 115-120rpm for long periods of time now.

the one thing is that my butt hurts. using a saddle i’m comfortable with, fit is fine, i’m guessing it’s probably a mix of cadence, not standing and centrifugal force? kinda hoping i get used to it.[/quote]

i get that. long efforts on the track are awful on the crotch.

worst is aerobars. then add motorpacing, so high speed, high cadence, terrible. i can only assume something comparable happens to dudes, but horrible things happen to my lady parts after a little too much track time.

not really a crotch thing for me. my BUTT, though.

rode again on friday and my BUTT is wrecked. just ruined.

yeah. but when youre in aerobars, there’s no butt contact, so that same force goes wherever youre touching the saddle. my handlebars are also pretty low, so not a ton of sit bone contact.

i do think the forces are pretty strong at speed and additionally not getting out of the saddle are the main factors. gonna put extra pressure wherever your weight is sitting.

oh yeah, you should definitely anticipate posts bemoaning aerobar-induced CROTCH discomfort.

but now we’ve got baaaaad BUTT!

TC: whenever i read the word “aerobar” now, i read it as “aerobear”
even though i’m the one who brought up the aerobars… i still just read that as:

[quote=y]aerobear-induced CROTCH discomfort.
[/quote]

anyway back to aerobears

rode the track tonight and my BUTT’s fine guys.

also, bought wheels today.

^^^ so what’d ya get anyways?

back to the track tonight after 2 weeks of holiday food and booze. gonna be rough

i got some cane creek things with straight-pull spokes, aeroheads and funky hubs. glued on some 19mm tufo tires. nothing pretty, but it does the trick.

also, i went to a drop-in this week and ended up riding immediately ahead of steve bauer in the “fast” paceline. the speed was manageable, but the cadence was about as much as i could keep up with so the entire time i’m thinking " ride smooth, ride smooth…". he told me i was slowing down before i pulled off. embarassed emoji