Trials: Danny Macaskill shreds the fucking gnar in Edinburgh

[quote=lot_22]that is too much.

on a side note i courted my ex-wife in edinburgh. i don’t think i could really communicate the fondness that i have for that city. don’t think i’ll go back though.[/quote]

I’m going back in 2 weeks! So excited, I spent alot of time there, but I got engaged in Aberdeen. I can’t wait to see my family.

That trials riding is sick.

i never really care about people doing tricks on fixed, and they can do them all they want. but when i see a video like this i just want to walk up to the kid doing backwards circles (which has been me many times) and scream.

This was pretty badass, and I normally think that watching trials riding is like watching paint dry. It was really awesome to see so much more BMX-inspired riding, rather than just slowly jumping from thing to thing.

A whole bunch of college kids are taking the seats off of their fixed gear bikes and riding them off of bridges right now.

^yeah, i’m predicting a bunch of tree related injuries over the next few days.

greatest vid of the year

Yes. We’ve got some old GT trials video at the shop that gets ends up getting played like six times during a given shift if it’s busy, and it’s cool for about 30 seconds. This was something else entirely. After seeing him bust 360s over those little stair sets, I was thinking, “I wonder if he can flip off a naturally occuring semi-urban object.” Then he whipped out that “fucking tree” flair and I peed a little. Awesome.

The tree…

omg

I showed this video to one of my classes today. They loved it.

so who is getting a trials bike now…

my housemate was only semi-inspired…wtf?

watch it again

This video has blown the fuck up. If you search for macaskill you’ll get pages and pages of hits of people linking ot it. Anyhow, amongst all that I found a couple of interviews with him:

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Danny-takes-a-bough-as.5188619.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8010262.stm

Fun fact about mander and two new school trials gods: I lived up the street from Ryan Leech in Port Moody, and i just found out that Danny Macaskill was the wrench at my lbs in Dalry (Macdonald Cycles) when i had no idea who he was. This means im cool!!

YOU LIVED IN PORT MOODY?

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I thought this was the case, but I had my doubts. Now there is no question.

WORDS OF WARNING . .
SUCH extreme cycling should not be undertaken lightly, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

They have a royal society for that shit?

[quote=halbritt]WORDS OF WARNING . .
SUCH extreme cycling should not be undertaken lightly, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

They have a royal society for that shit?[/quote]

http://www.rospa.com/

lol.

Their office is next to the Ministry of Silly Walks.

[quote=mander]
Fun fact about mander and two new school trials gods: I lived up the street from Ryan Leech in Port Moody, and i just found out that Danny Macaskill was the wrench at my lbs in Dalry (Macdonald Cycles) when i had no idea who he was. This means im cool!![/quote]

i’ve ridden with ryan leech a couple times. the man is amazing. i haven’t seen him throw down the freestyle like macaskill, but seeing someone back tire stall a chain, thats 3+ feet in the air is just amazing.

for those of you interested in the sport trials has come a long way since ryan leech and revolution/evolve!

this video of danny mac is likely the pinnacle of “street trials” which is a derivative format that has gained momentum over the last few years (check out the 24 inch wheeled bike he is riding… that is not competition legal!) this movement towards a more flowing, bmx style of movement is not surprising, especially with the further specialization of competition style trials.

this video showcases world class riding just south of paris. in the video is vincent hermance who is possibly the best pure trials rider alive right now… has won many world rounds.

compare the two riding styles and notice that while both take immense skill levels, the danny mac vid is slightly more interesting. if you ask the average individual about trials, chances are they know who danny mac is rather than vincent hermance (one of the best pure trials riders to ever live) even though vincent has won far more on the world stage. and people wonder why trials isnt more popular!

Who cares about contests and wins? Most of the best skaters in the world never skated contests and never won a thing, but Jamie Thomas is still a better skater than Ryan Sheckler, regardless of the number of X-Games wins or what the fuck ever the metric is now.