true confessions (but mostly stealth braggin')

same here, until i realized it was a portmanteau of rivet and nut.

[quote=iwillbe]TC: I’d never really known what Rivnuts were, but had tacitly assumed Grant Petersen was their inventor, like special nuts you get from Rivendell. Turns out they’re… pretty commonly used in a lot of industries

Nothing else to add, just wanted to get this off my chest.[/quote]

Go in peace.

I think I knew about rivnuts before I knew about Rivendell and I still think of grant when I read the word rivnut.

Yep, and I only realized pretty recently.

I never thought about Grant when thinking about rivnuts and I have a lot of rivnut history outside of bicycles. Now that’s all I can think about.

When you see a nicely shellacked set of bars atop a threaded headset, with no disk brakes or brifters anywhere around

Can someone please word filter brifters to shakes? I really think this is a necessity and wouldn’t be at all confusing.

i previously word filtered brifter to shift lever, but someone deleted it, like they do with all my word filters.

Brifter is truly a horrible word.

Can we just auto-ban anyone who says the b-word?

A rivnut is someone trying to sell a simple one with full fop chariot treatment for $1200.

[quote=Sneaky Viking]When you see a nicely shellacked set of bars atop a threaded headset, with no disk brakes or brifters anywhere around
[/quote]

This didn’t get the recognition it justly deserves.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=Sneaky Viking]When you see a nicely shellacked set of bars atop a threaded headset, with no disk brakes or brifters anywhere around
[/quote]

This didn’t get the recognition it justly deserves.[/quote]

^ The use of brifters in the above comedic post was ‘in character’, and in no way represents how I would personally refer to shakes.

banned for second usage

banned for second usage[/quote]

Actually banned. Account wiped. Associated IPs blocked.

We’re not fucking around with this mess.

[quote=cheese][quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=Sneaky Viking]When you see a nicely shellacked set of bars atop a threaded headset, with no disk brakes or brifters anywhere around
[/quote]

This didn’t get the recognition it justly deserves.[/quote][/quote]

Goddamn right, this was a high quality post

Also, I think the mash stuff hasn’t really aged well, but really fucking around having fun on bikes is always great and never goes out of style.

TC: putting Glide all over my undercarriage daily has increased the enjoyability of bike commuting immensely over the last few months. Usually my scranus gave out before my legs but not any more!

Saw a dude on a brakeless steel fixie with one of these slammed right on top of the headset on my commute a few days ago:

TC thought it looked pretty fucking sw8, even though I wish it was about 50mm wider.

TC: Its really hard switching between a bullitt and a track bike every day. Getting back on the track bike is so sketchy, I oversteer constantly and am afraid I’m going to hit something.