Tubeless mountain bike tire talk here

My starting range for MTB tubeless is 25 front and 30 rear. For background, I weigh 215# geared-up. I rarely go higher, but almost always end up dropping a few psi (at least in front).

Just pump it to like 25 and leave it until dry trails start feeling greasy. Then check your pressure and go from there.

I do similar. When I feel my rims hitting rocks/roots I bust out the hand pump. Trailside pumping is the best kind.

yeah any listed minimum is the maximum in practice atmo

yeah I’ve settled on higher, but it’s always worth it to experiment with the whole range

I also switched from supple Schwalbes to extra-stiff Contis and go way faster now

[quote=curiousincident]i would fucking fold the tire in every single corner and destroy every rim at pressures that low, and i don’t weigh that much more than jordan. i’m pretty over the whole ‘as low as you can possibly manage’ mentality of tire pressure for off-road riding, it just sucks if you want to go fast at all. this, of course, is my personal preference speaking

really the whole thing of soliciting and giving advice re: tire pressure is funny to me. too many variables, personal preference included. is it that hard to figure out what you like? i keep a floor pump with no pressure gauge i won at a race in my trunk and troll the fuck out of everybody at the trailhead/cx race venue with it. people lose their fucking minds when they realize i have no clue what the actual PSI is in my tires, i just squeeze 'em and shrug.

so jordan just go ride your bike have fun play around with it but don’t expect to find enlightenment or anything. it’s a moving target anyway if you ever ride anything other than the same trail over and over[/quote]
seriously, i’m only 135lbs and have pinch cut my tire casing three times at low 20 psi. Sure the vittoria XC tires might be to blame and I’m not the smoothest rider. But as I’m getting more comfortable with going faster through the chunks, the super low pressure doesn’t work for me either.

Tire pressure is something you have to experiment yourself. Different trails, different riders, different riders means different tire pressure

yeah I’ve settled on higher, but it’s always worth it to experiment with the whole range

I also switched from supple Schwalbes to extra-stiff Contis and go way faster now[/quote]

I hear good things about contis

i have not had good luck with conti personally, they’re a relative asspain to seal the first time around too. i just went back to schwalbe after killing a protection race king and then a wtb nine line in rapid succession. that said both tires rode well and maybe i just got unlucky ¯_(ツ)_/¯

actually schwalbe is the only brand of tubeless mtb tire i’ve used without ever cutting a sidewall. got 3 seasons out of an evo rocket ron on the front wheel before preemptive retirement due to the sidewall starting to just look look kinda threadbare. i’d also never run one in the rear until now, if these 2.35 snakeskins don’t do it i guess i’ll just get ardents or something

[quote=turpencat]what kind of pressure can i be running in tubeless nobby nics at the ‘performance’ level? 27.5 x 2.25
they are cheap and stuff. not great sidewall rigidity.
I weigh 145#[/quote]

I don’t know about your tires, but my Performance Hans Dampfs don’t have the same bead as the TL models. I was able to get the front to seal, but came off as soon as I re-inflated. YMMV.

it took much hardship to get them to become tubeless

between myself and a friend we’ve pretty much sworn off schwalbe. I’ve only had one burp all the air out. my friend has had it unseat once on a ride and twice during two separate enduro races.

maxxis is still probaby my fave. I had a conti trail king 2.4 up front and it was an asspain to get sealed up, took like a week and about 4 rides before it finally stopped leaking.

I like the wtb stuff, but they wear a bit quickly. I really liked the vigilante I had up front before I tore it and replaced it with the trail king. Planning to play with tires once I move to colorado, guessing there will be some slightly different demands compared to the san francisco area ( currently using panaracer driver pros, fun in an out of control kind of way)

I have very few complaints w/ Specialized fwiw

I’m getting ready to do this. How do you recommend I go about the valve?
I’ve seen one way where a whole 20" tube is stretched on the rim and split. The other way I’ve seen is just cut the valve section out and secure it good with the valve stem nut.

what are the rims?

the ghetto split tube is only for vintage conversions

The most info I can find is they’re Weinmann SL-7

This blue tape works flawlessly and from what I can tell is exactly the same shit stans sells for 3x the price:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-8896/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01
And just get some legit valves. No reason to fuck with ghetto tubless these days atmo:
http://www.amazon.com/Tubes-Presta-Universal-Carded-Mountain/dp/B004YIE294?ie=UTF8&keywords=stans%20valve%20stem&qid=1459779111&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

[quote=Rusty Piton]This blue tape works flawlessly and from what I can tell is exactly the same shit stans sells for 3x the price:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Film-Strapping-Tape-8896/dp/B00C0Z1Z5C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01
And just get some legit valves. No reason to fuck with ghetto tubless these days atmo:
http://www.amazon.com/Tubes-Presta-Universal-Carded-Mountain/dp/B004YIE294?ie=UTF8&keywords=stans%20valve%20stem&qid=1459779111&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1[/quote]

Checking out “Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought” brought the lulz.

Cool cool thx
The rims don’t specify anywhere as “tubeless ready” so I didn’t know

what do they look like inside?

you might have to do some nerd shit to fill in the rim well if it’s too deep (one of those methods is the ‘ghetto’ split tube)

Why did my old non tubeless Xking and SB8 set up with just a floor pump but when I pulled em off the brand new racing Ralph and SB8 didn’t even come close? I put tubes in them to let em sit for a few days. Hopefully that’ll make em shape up.