Turns out there are plenty of dumb questions. Nothing to see here.

Have I failed to find it or are there simply no more dumb questions?
That’s a dumb question itself I suppose.

My DQ is about nerd cranks and chainrings. I want to fit out my 110 BCD cranks with a pair of chainrings that will shift reasonably but coddle my fat ass in the hilly confines of Iowa City. I’m thinking a big ring of 48 or 46 and a small ring in proportion. I know know nerd cranks have been a growth industry lately but I’ve missed the boat.

fine–Dumb Question Dumb Thread but elliptical thread titles are elliptical.
:colbert:

I’m no expert but I think you might want a cassette. And what’s a cassette with no derailleurs? That’s like PB with no J. Also, little trap for young players - when you pick out your chainrings, don’t get two of the same size. Hope this helps

1 Like

you definitely should get a prime number narrow wide ring tho

6 Likes

I heard that this pairs well with 26" monstercross tires.

1 Like

There are 110 nerd rings now. 48-30 110 exists on ebay by some lovecraftian horror that will drive you insane if you contemplate it. they have it for shartmano 4bolt and regular ass 5bolt. Make sure the number of links in your chain is in the fibonacci series for optimul performance.

3 Likes

Mods please sticky this thread? I think it would be handy and iirc we had one on the old tarck.

1 Like

i mean, we had two dumb questions on old tarck, sure. but do we need two now?

Is this a dq?

2 Likes

this is where we have a mod fight

6 Likes

i’m gonna start a thread called “which of the DQ threads is the real DQ thread”
and i hope you mods will sticky it

1 Like

Should I make this a global banner topic?

2 Likes

It’s very tarck to have duplicate megathreads because all the old ones have been renamed with tarck memes and no one can find them anymore

1 Like

@Blakey addressed this DQ in tarckchives, also pls consult the database, also mtn triple sq taper into a double 110/74 the budget way or road triple into double.

Or road cx crank 46/33, TA makes a 33t 110…

1 Like

Forget I said anything…

2 Likes

I’m setting up a 10 speed bike with an ultegra regular not long cage, on 12-28. You’re supposed to twiddle the b tension to get the top jockey wheel 5 mm away from the big cog. Well, even with the b tension screw totally removed, my jockey wheel and pie plate are like 12 or 15 mm apart. Wat do? Rebuild the derailleur? Buy a new one? Just live with it if shifting seems ok?