Two cyclists killed...

On October 1st at 10:45 AM Gregory and Alexandra Bruehler, 42 and 36 years old respectively, were killed riding their tandem on Texas 16 just North of San Antonio. The road they were riding on has 2 lanes in each direction, with an 8 foot wide shoulder. They were riding on the shoulder. A Ford F150 swerved several times back and forth across the lane, crossed the shoulder completely into the grass, then struck the couple’s bike at over 70 mph on it’s way back onto the road.

The Bruehlers were avid cyclists and runners, with Gregory having run in the New York City Marathon this year. This is after the two of them were nearly killed in a car accident that left Gregory’s mother dead and both of them barely able to walk. Left behind is the couple’s seven year old daugheter, Kylie.

As there was no alcohol involved the Bexar County Sherriff’s department called the event an “accident” and the driver, Gilbert John Sullaway Jr., was not charged or arrested.

This of course brought outrage from the San Antonio cycling community. After many letters and phone calls to the Sherriff’'s office, the District Attorney’s office, the governer, and anyone else who’s contact info could be found the DA’s office finally has announced that they would investigate the incident to determine if they might bring charges.

Last night was the memorial service for the couple. 258 cyclists rode to the service and stood outside as mourners arrived. The family brought Kylie out to meet the riders and Gregory’s father walked down the line and shook each person’s hand.

The Bruehlers were the 3rd and 4th cyclists killed in San Antonio this year, with no one arrested in any of the cases.

On June 14th Anthony Cruz, 27, was cycling on FM 476 in Atascosa County in the evening when a pickup clipped the rear of the bike, sending Cruz flying. Cruz was killed. The pickup driver was not charged.

On Feburary 13th Enriquez Castillo, 47, was cycling on Nacogdoches Road in the early morning when hit by a driver who had looked down to change the radio station. Castillo died at the scene. The driver was not charged.

The first thing I want to say here is please, everyone be careful when you’re out there riding. We all know, or should know, that we are as good as invisible to the vast majority of drivers, many of whom are on cell phones, or reading, applying makeup or one of many other things that distract them from driving.

The second is that we, as a community, need to stand up and make our voices heard. We need to let it be known that it is unnaceptable for a driver to kill a cyclist and walk away with no charges or responsibility. The the driver’s above had hit other cars and killed their passengers they would have been charged. Had they hit and damaged someone’s property they would have been required to cover the damages. What if it had been a bunch of kids waiting for a school bus? Why is it that all you have to say is “oops, sorry” and you can hit cyclists with impunity? Write your elected officials, make sure they know where you stand on things like this.

Ride safe everyone.

wtf!

texas justice system. it sucks.
i was just reading about arson investigation and wrong convictions…the execution of an innocent person.

not surprised they don’t bring charges on any of these accidents when they certainly should.

awful

I generally like to observe both sides of the story…

In this case tho, on a 4 lane highway with an 8 foot shoulder, so… 6 lane highway… a truck swerves off the road and back on and back and forth or whatever? And no charges?

1. Drivers need to take more responsibility.
  2. Why should this not involve a re-test on ur drivers license (it wouldn’t anywhere in America, because the test is a joke)
  3. How would this not be some form of reckless driving?

Hopefully tort law will take over. How fucking ridiculous.

This story needs verification. There’s definitely an apparent bias, which is fine, this is the right crowd for that bias, but it comes off like a journalistic piece.

Edit: Several sources all say the same thing. I’m fucking flabbergasted.

thats fucked up

sorry for my french

that picture of their daughter and the cyclists behind her is powerful, i can feel the tears forming as i stare at it

halbritt: I wrote the above myself, using info I gleaned from various sources, some media, some personal. It probably sounds a bit journalistic because I used to write for the paper when I was in school and the style has somewhat stuck with me.

Haagenize: There were many tears, and there will be many more. That’s one of the most heart-wrenching photo’s I’ve ever seen.

Fuck.

That story makes me sick.

Not complaining about the style. It just struck me as something difficult to believe and presented in a point-of-fact fashion. As it turns out, I was simply mistaken about the fact that it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them.

Not complaining about the style. It just struck me as something difficult to believe and presented in a point-of-fact fashion. As it turns out, I was simply mistaken about the fact that it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them.[/quote] it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them it’s not illegal to run people over and kill them

Fuck Texas.

Sorry, it needs to be said in this circumstance.

It makes me sick to my stomach that somebody would be so willing to hurt others. It seems to me some drivers take advantage of cyclists believing that there would be no repercussions; in this case it’s true but I hope not.

what the fuck.

heartbreaking :frowning:

It makes me sick to my stomach that somebody would be so willing to hurt others. It seems to me some drivers take advantage of cyclists believing that there would be no repercussions; in this case it’s true but I hope not.[/quote]

I don’t know if the article is suggesting that the hitting of the cyclists was malicious or if the driver just happened to not be paying attention.

I’m not justifying either… I’m just saying lets not assume that this was some sort of attempted murder or hate towards cyclists without knowing.

What we do know is that clearly the driver wasn’t operating a motor vehicle safely, and there are two deceased people.

That picture made me cry.

Not to get too far off topic, but this is how I feel about all drivers. Even people that drive “safely” can kill people due to circumstances completely beyond their control. That risk is unacceptable, atmo.

on the real realrealrealreal real real real realrealreal real…

stories like these are the only ones that honestly make me think twice about continuing to cycle.

not even my accidents have done that.

so tragic…

People killing people…

so it would be manslaughter if he hit someone crossing a crosswalk, i assume, so why isn’t this?