Unspeakable bike projects

After buying and gutting a couple of 9150 brifters to make lhs brake levers for 1x machines, then a 7970 one so I could modify my Mavic Zap fly-by-wire setup to not need that stupid little switch wart, I got it into my head that I could put the switch warts I stripped from those 9150s into a set of 7970s.

It’s almost a drop-in; I need to lengthen the switch wiring for the shift switches, chop off the 3rd switch and wire in the old 7970 one, and take a dremel to the little bay that the wiring hub fits into so I can fit the slightly wider 9150 units.

And then to figure out if I can use an existing frame or if I have to put together a new one so I can test it out.

18 Likes

Oh shit, I should have sent you the 9150 sprint shifters I have too :man_facepalming:

Dithering cries for help thread.

7 Likes

Oh well! Want me to send you some money next month for them?

Nah I’ll dig them out and nudge them your way via usps sometime this week

Spurred on by the knowledge that the B-17 that I re-covered hung together on my last poop-barn, I decided to pull finger on the next saddle project. Buddy gave me a ti brooks that he had for some reason over-oiled to the point of extreme stretching. Not sure what he did but it’s a manky mess. My dad tells me that if I soak it in water it should displace the oil. Then I will slice the nose off and move it back a bit. Will see what happens…

4 Likes

This is truly DOG’s work.

1 Like

Who is our local cad modeler?
Who is our local machinist?

I spend all day everyday running 2d cad and sketchup

1 Like

I need u to be 3d cadding

thinking @Gary_the_tennis_ball or @jimmythefly

I am. I know others on here with lots of skills but will let them speak up if they want.

1 Like

Yea I do a fair amount of CAD in my day to day work

I is machinist but I don’t have time for my own projects let alone for others. Sorry.

So my longer dropper post is coming today. I might potentially ruin my carbon mtb frame later! The idea is to trim the long seat tube down about 20mm. At about 15mm it gets thicker and requires a 36.4 seatpost clamp, which I have also acquired. All things considered, I think this will work out if I make clean cuts.

Been exploring my options with regard to the cutting:

Oscillating multi tool for making the cut across the tube?

Spade bits for drilling the clamp holes on top of the seat tube? I don’t have any so probably won’t be waiting for some to be shipped to me, but sounds like a good idea:

Aside from a drill and whatever more specialized bits I can get at a lowes/home depot/ace, I also have access to a dremel and a drill press.

I think I’ll try the oscillating multi-tool for the big cut across the tube. Then buy a diamond tip or carbide dremel bit for the cuts along the seat tube that will allow the seatpost clamp to do its clamping job. If anyone has recs about which of these would be best, lmk!

I usually drill carbon tubes with a carbide twist drill with low pressure, slow speed and coolant. Deburr with a ball grinding wheel. A carbide burr for a dremel might be a good option. I think this is a terrible idea though and you’ll end up wrecking the frame.

1 Like

But this one guy did it!!

What is the most likely way in which I would wreck the frame?

This thing is calling my blade like a turkey’s neck:

IMG_9508 2

i have used an oscillating tool or just a grinder to cut carbon fibers a bunch of times. seems to work real good. no complaints.

I’d say the main reason being the area you’ll be clamping on wasn’t engineered to take the clamping forces and could lead to the whole tube cracking.

1 Like

Don’t most droppers have a way to limit travel or is that for down not up?