Velo Orange / Wellgo Track Pedals

I’ve seen mixed reviews on Wellgo pedals. Velo Orange consistently makes excellent gear, so I’m thinking about trying these. Anyone ever used these pedals? If so, what did you think?

http://www.velo-orange.com/votrpe.html

Wellgo pedals are fine if you get some of the nicer ones, the lower end ones are junk but the others aren’t bad.

I would trust anything that VO puts their name on. Ask VT Tallbike to go check them out, he is close to the shop.

For $10 more than MKS Sylvans they’re probably pretty decent.

I got a pair for the reasons listed above, that is, everything VO puts their name on is awesome. They’re nicely finished and supposedly have sealed bearings. I’m not sure what else I can say about them as I’ve got less than 20 miles on 'em.

Look nice but uncomfortable.

Like every pedal designed for slotted cleats, but used with soft-sole tennis shoes.

Those look pretty decent, and very similar to some Suntour track pedals I’ve seen.

I don’t know why anyone would actively seek out track pedals.

I say this all the time, but no one seems to understand.

I understand Zombie Carl.

thx.

I say this all the time, but no one seems to understand.[/quote]

Duh guys, it’s the Zen.

^Forgot about that.

Slightly better clearance to reduce the likelihood of pedal strikes. I haven’t found them to be particularly uncomfortable.

Slightly better clearance to reduce the likelihood of pedal strikes. I haven’t found them to be particularly uncomfortable.[/quote]

Just get clipless if you’re worried about ground clearance, since they are significantly narrower than anything with a platform it gives you more cornering room. That being said [quote=“JACQUES”]I don’t know why anyone would actively seek out track pedals.[/quote]

Slightly better clearance to reduce the likelihood of pedal strikes. I haven’t found them to be particularly uncomfortable.[/quote]

Just get clipless if you’re worried about ground clearance, since they are significantly narrower than anything with a platform it gives you more cornering room. That being said [quote=“JACQUES”]I don’t know why anyone would actively seek out track pedals.[/quote][/quote]

I’m baffled by the logic here. Track pedals aren’t uncomfortable at all for me, they give better clearance than road platforms on my conversion which has a lower bottom bracket than a track frame. They also don’t have the disadvantages of clipless pedals (different shoes, etc).

Pedal strikes aren’t really an issue, so much as something I anticipated as a possibility. I wanted some clips and straps for my party foul for the reasons that people run clips and straps, they look nice and don’t require different shoes. I got the VO/Wellgo pedals because I wanted to try them and it turns out that they work well. If they were uncomfortable, I’d get different pedals. If I were riding a lot, I’d throw some clipless pedals back on there.

Maybe you don’t know any better? I rode Sylvan Tracks for like three months. Right up until I got serious about mileage and I realized that little spur on the outside edge of the pedal was putting holes in my soles. I tried five or six different pedals that I borrowed from buddies until I found MKS Streams. I can’t imagine riding a different style of pedal in street shoes now.

I’m on my second set of Sylvan tracks. I don’t mind them, but I don’t put in anywhere near the mileage some of you guys do. For a 20 mile ride in chucks or skimmers they’re fine.

I don’t know how y’all do it. I have a very narrow foot, wear size 9 chucks and still feel like my foot spills over the sides of my girlfriend’s MKS Sylvains. Clipless for me please.

Then again, I’m not too concerned about how my bike looks. :colbert: