Vintage Treks Because New Ones Are For Bike Cops

Shouldn’t require anything but a pair of Tektro 559s

2 Likes

I periodically consider 650b’ing my Trek, but then wonder if it would change the feel, as I really love how the bike feels as is. I usually run 28-32mm tires and fenders, which at my meager weight and a little underbiking, gets me most places I want to go. Still, Comfy Puffy Tires™️ would be nice.

When I had braze ons getting added, I thought about getting canti/V posts added, but couldn’t commit to a wheel size. :man_shrugging::man_facepalming:

Not exactly The same, but they’re closer than I thought.

1 Like

1986 Trek 560. I’ve had it since 2001 or 2002. I bought it with a terrible matte black spray paint job and haven’t ever changed it. It’s been a dumb fixie before and was posted on Fixed Gear Gallery back when that was a thing. Currently built up with SRAM and 32mm Paselas. I love it and never ride it.

5 Likes

That’s yield strength, not modulus of elasticity.

1 Like

Yep Tektro 559 (or velo orange, etc). It’s close on width but works just fine. There are enough small differences year-to-year and even among frame sizes that you’d want to test fit before buying tires. But if those are 700x32 shown I bet you’d be fine with 42, especially if you don’t mount fenders.

1 Like

Aha, my materials science is weak, obviously. :man_shrugging:
Anyway, my (poorly made) intended point is that the 501 frames are often dismissed in favor of the fancier Reynolds and Ishiwata frames, when I think they ride quite nicely in their own right.

1 Like

8 Likes

Baby’s first frame-up build. Need to cut the fork eventually…

6 Likes

did the forum glitch and switch the lasts two user’s posts?

7 Likes

Keeping the Sundeal tradition of double stems alive

1 Like

That color and graphicway

What’s with the stray rear rack stay?

1 Like

Here’s my 90s 720 I used for touring and gravel.

6 Likes

Had to get somewhere fast and the bolt was not coming out even with torx intervention. I’ve got it off now. Real questions start appearing if you look near the front QR…

1 Like

This 1984 500 has been sitting for sale on local FB marketplace, now down to $140.

Brakes and levers have been updated slightly to 105. Dangler is not original.

I like that it’s sitting on 27" wheels as that means I could go to 700x32 + fenders with ease. Not a fan of only one bottle cage and clamp-on shifters, but TBH I would jsut want to leave this as-is as much as possible and just ride and enjoy without making it too much of a resto-mod.

Dammit, I have the money sitting in my paypal, but really trying to save for some 650b carbon wheels for the MTB.

5 Likes

Get it, then save for the carbon wheels

For the trek

4 Likes

I was going to leave my vintage trek as it was too but then i rode it i was like goddamn these bars suck and these lever suck and these shifters suck and these nipples are all stuck and these tires suck and this stem is uggo. Its a sluppery slope

1 Like

*slappery slurp

1 Like

My first good road bike was a '78 trek 520 with an ishiwata tube set and a 600ex group that a roommate left when they moved out when I was like 20. I loved that bike and it fit perfectly. It died when I made the mistake of locking it to someone’s fence overnight, and they evidently were displeased and bent the frame. Really wish I still had that bike.