Weird Build Dithering Thread Infinity: Part 2

spill the deets! i need to get some watergate caps or whatever they call the ones that are closed closed once you close them

1 Like

if you scroll down you hit the caps. MoFlo 2.0 is the new one. Same design, different grip and shorter nipple (which they call a poppet because maybe they’re prudes)

We switched to Tacx for Outpost bottles. It’s hard to be 100% sure about it, but based on the description of materials they are at least TRYING to make bottles out of something other than virgin dinosaurs in a less shitty way.

We ended up going with the biodegradable plastic variant (Shiva Bio) vs Shiva o2 which is made from a sugarcane-derived polymer. They claim 100% recyclable material too. A toss-up once we started thinking about how intensive the agriculture for sugar cane is. No idea if that was the right call or how “good” either really is, but I guess “at least they are trying” vs a certain company that dominates the sector and at least at the time, was not offering any attempts to the former.

The cap is remarkably unremarkable. You can open and close it and a reasonable amount of water comes out of it when you squeeze.

6 Likes

I was actually looking to get 3x of the pink and black outpost jawns. How’s you read my mind.

Do the caps open too easily?

1 Like

I don’t think so. But to be honest, I’m not very picky about bottles on a personal level. I still have plenty of our older bottles in rotation as I have trained myself to take better care of them, but at some point as they get retired, I’ll replace with Tacx ones.

2 Likes

Old bottles are sometimes great because they breakdown and squeeze easier

i have been demanding a shorter Poppet for years so this is great news for me

what’s your basic water bottle care regime?

My only real complaint with tacx bottles is the narrower opening makes it tougher to stuff ice cubes or drink powder in them. I guess I’m not wild about the harder poppet, either, but that’s not a deal breaker.

1 Like

today’s new vocab word: poppet

2 Likes

Nothing particularly special.

1. ALWAYS Remember to dump out a bottle with stuff in it and immediately rinse.

2. A squirt of dish soap and shake violently.

3. Force the soapy water through the nozzle.

4. Rinse and put it in the dishwasher

The hardest part was just training myself to not leave sticky bottles to fester more than a few minutes after getting back from a ride.

7 Likes

i usually only have water but do rinse immediately if sports beverages are involved. i think dishwasher fucks with purist bottle, or at least high temp does and that’s pretty much all i run

1 Like

I managed to melt one running it on the lower rack, but in 7 years that’s been the only one!

somehow on my older bottles that have been through more high temp cycles just don’t seem to quite seal as well any more. i think @amy had mentioned this as well. which is a shame because they’re just so good otherwise. gotta see if i can get some watergate caps to bring it back to the BiHKAL

Definitely my experience too. All my bottles leak just a little bit. :frowning:

I think my dishwasher must run a bit lower temp… bottles come out working like bottles. I could probably skip the dishwasher step anyway and just rinse better after dish soap and shaking.

1 Like

I do soap shake for the bottle, lids go in the dishwasher’s top rack. I share lids with my kid, and she uses squeeze bottles like all kids do: fit as much in your mouth as possible, then squeeze.

I suspect that dishwashers are probably ok for washing, but that it’s the drying cycle that might be messing up bottles. Lots of dry heat.

That’s probably it, the cycle we run doesn’t do a super thorough dry cycle. No idea if that’s by design or not, but it’s always been that way.

1 Like

i rarely use heated dry. if you run high temp and just open it when it’s done i find it usually works about as well as heated dry

2 Likes

Our dishwasher is the same, heated dry doesn’t do much so I just crack the door open when the cycle is done and let everything air dry

1 Like