Weird Build Dithering Thread Infinity: Part 2

i haven’t yet, but they dither pretty hard so they’d likely fit right in

Mentally dithering whether to build the vintage trek road frame with drop bars and a super rise quill stem that I already bought. Or with wide mountain bars and a super long threadless stem with quill adapter. Like 130 stem maybe. Would that be weird?

wheeltop just announced drop bar setup

Dithering on a cool blue Hoo Koo E Koo I saw, all I’d need is some wheels and I could build a new camping bike with all this old XT stuff I have lying around…

2 Likes

I seeing something like a roadini in my head for option one and that’s not a bad thing. Could also see it being the right mix of parts to find it a new home should you decide to part with it again/finally?

1 Like

so which bike is becoming clydesdale already

Dunno, I’m holding out for a bike with a ~400mm A-C and a 72deg HTA for optimal Clydeing

This Fisher has a 69 (nice) deg HTA and sweet matching fork and stem so I’d probably leave that all as it is

is the fisher suspension corrected? ATMO and ME, it’s a suggestion, not a rule. some frames are gonna clyde better but the fork is the bike is the bike :atmo:

Nah it’s an old bike, no bouncy fork corrections needed

Can we talk about running a quill stem on a bike with a 9/8” threadless head tube + fork?

If the steerer is steel and 1" ID (and not butted thinner wall in the middle) then I’d say send it. Are you using a 9/8" quill stem (to be clear I mean the quill itself is 1" diameter)?

no i believe it would be a 22.2 quill diameter.

1 Like

Didn’t some company make a terrible adapter to do this?
Soma?

I guess they never made it in 9/8

2 Likes

“Soma: For when not even Problem Solvers will touch your claptrap idea”

10 Likes

I keep getting passed left and right by people on ebikes and death to false metal and all that but goddamn I want an easy ride too

Maybe I’m doing myself a disservice by always riding around on 26" dead enders, maybe the grass is greener on the modern side of the fence

These are my dithering thoughts lately

big wheels good friend

I’ve never owned a 29er, the closest I’ve come to a modern bike was a Fuse with 27.5x2.8 and it was fun but I bought the wrong size so I didn’t keep it

Why can’t I be a deadender grouch in peace, why monkey brain see other monkey bikes and feel want

3 Likes

Because dead-ender mindset is a trap and is a self-flagellating denial of meaningful improvements in design and function. (sometimes)

3 Likes

If you do buy a new modern bike, just buy one off the shelf and just ride it. Don’t try to build one.

8 Likes

Put a hub motor on the front of whatever bike gets the clyde fork.

1 Like