Weird Build Dithering Thread Infinity: Part 2

Atmo if you do try the one bike multiple wheels setup, definitely spend the money on another cassette and rotors and the time to get that all aligned so it’s an easy swap and you don’t have to spend the time swapping over those parts and making adjustments every time.

But yeah, probably better in theory than practice because different bikes feel different and sometimes that’s a good thing.

3 Likes

May 2023 dither: take off the Riv bars, go back to a 2x10, reduce tire size and add fenders.

Tosco bars are nice and comfy and allow for that flipped inside thumbie thing that I actually really like, but climbing sucks and sitting bolt upright kinda blows after a few miles. Gonna swap to some Soma Dream bars I found, I’m thinking a decent rise and modest sweep should be comfy cruising and better climbing. Maybe get some Crust Mushman bars when the silver 24deg is back in stock.

46-36-24 triple with an 11-30 9s cassette isn’t giving me all of it. So I’m gonna put the 2x10 XT stuff back on the bike. 38-24 with an 11-36 cassette and clicky shifters.

No more front rack, gonna move the dyno light to the fork crown and maybe move the tail light to the seatpost.

Still not stoked on tire choices, but the black VO fenders are indeed nice.

Bikes are dumb.

4 Likes

If the dream bars end up not giving you all of it, maybe try something like an Albatross/Oxford bar with less sweep-back and set lower than one would for bolt uprightness. That might get you into a nice place between the two.

1 Like

I’ve found less sweep and lower bars are better for getting up hills. your gearing looks good.

have you considered a Kona Dew? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Weekly

But I’ve got this bike and two bins of parts so I keep dithering

1 Like

This is now June 2023 dither because a) I’m lazy, and b) I spend my free time ferrying boxes around town and assembling furniture

I have CX1 on a some roads bike, and want a bigger cassette than the 11-32 that came with the group. I’m miffed because I want to max out the derder (mid cage 11-36) but my secondary grievance is that I don’t like the SRAM cog spacing compared to Shimano.

Option 1: buy a Shimano 11-34 and git gud

Option 2: buy a Sun Race 11-36 cheap from euro land

Option 3: buy a Ratio enormo-cage for the derder and a Shimano 11-40 (overkill?)

All good options

my experience with sunrays cassettes is that they are just fucking fine and I fully plan on buying another one pretty soon

3 Likes

I have the ratio cage and it’s great, but pricey for my dollar. I have also had great results with the Sunrace cassettes.

1 Like

If that’s 11 speed, this is another option for 11-36

3 Likes

I have a Sunshine cassette too. Was a lot heavier than the Sunrace and quality didn’t seem as good, got quite rusty somehow. Still shifted well.

1 Like

Since nobody wants to buy the vintage trek frame, I guess I’ll build it back up. Thinking of putting a dirt drop stem on it.

1 Like

I had a sunshine cassette (from ebay so maybe a knockoff?) that got really shitty and ate my entire drivetrain over about 400 miles. Had to replace chainrings and jockey wheels too. YMMV

More details

Installed the offending cassette prior to a tour with a new or very close to new 10s chain (SRAM I think, but maybe it was KMC) . Conditions were not muddy, and only lightly dusty. I performed acceptable chain cleaning. By a point several hundred miles in, the faces of the casette teeth were flattened and gnarly - I interpret this to mean the metal was much softer than is typical in a cassette. This lead to my chain getting pretty fucked up, which apparently ate my other drivetrain components. I purchased the cassette direct from china off ebay and it was branded as sunshine, but who knows.

Not too long after this I discovered the freehub body had some lateral play and replaced it. Horrible performance could have been caused by sloppy freehub body

Feels comfy with a leg over trial in the garage so far

4 Likes

woke up and found this on the coffee table. looks like one of my roommates is going off the dither deep end

7 Likes

“I’ve been dying to talk about the cable pull with you all day!”

12 Likes

Have you invited them to Tarck yet?