Weird Build Dithering Thread Infinity: Part 2

I think he was talking about the new multi-tools that have the quick link breaker built into the chain tool for pushing pins.

like this one:

1 Like

I’ve had to use Leatherman squirt mini-pliers trailside because I didn’t have a masterlink tool.

Situation: rear derailleur on a rental MTB exploded. Needed to remove RD, shorten chain, try to ride as singlespeed. (This happened to Fred, I was there to witness and assist in trailside repair).

I guess we could have cut the chain elsewhere and used a new masterlink, but seems better to re-use the one already in place, assuming you can get it open.

I’ve also heard you can just thread a small zip-tie around the quick link and pull tight till it releases but never tried it.

I believe he is referring to this sort of tool.

Having an awkward but effective quick link tool as part of a useful multi tool seems pretty inoffensive. It’s certainly an order of magnitude more useful than the stupid saw that comes with Lezyne multi tools.

3 Likes

Yes that is the tool I was thinking of.

I have that. It’s pretty great. Have used the tire lever part at least once.

I would not consider chain fixing tools on par with bottom bracket tools TBH. Chains get fucked up all the time. I generally carry a little Park chain tool in my kit.

TC: That Park mini chain tool is the only one I own

I have that and one of the crank bros multi tool ones.

I’m a little embarrassed that I don’t own a better one.

Ritchey CPR14 is still the only chain tool I have. 20 years.

1 Like

That thing looks like you got it from a fixie Kickstarter.

4 Likes

homercar of tools

1 Like

Everything else is a multi tool with some dinky chain tool attached. That is a chain tool with every available bit of real estate made in to another tool. I love it.

Also, I have a cpr-9 as my only tool on the bike for a majority of my rides. I can’t remember the last time I needed a tool that wasn’t on there.
ritchey-cpr-9-multitool-na-EV198119-9999-1

If only I could safely carry it in a pocket…

That’s the rub. The CPR14 in a jersey pocket feels like a terrible idea.

it’s really great for unthreading epic jammed/tangled chain situations

I’ve gotten it done anyway in 5-10 minutes of messy brute hand strength, but dang I should buy that wolftooth product

The last time it happened I was drunk and happy at 3am and I just crammed it in the backseat of an uber instead, which is an even better use of money than a goofy kickstarter tool

1 Like

Oh god let’s make oprah.gif happen but replace the bees with 26" dynamo wheels

I bought you one already babby. Remember to make me give it to you when I see you next.

I don’t really understand some of the rationale here. Isn’t the point of carrying a master link that you have an extra quick use link at your disposal when a normal link breaks? If your master links breaks then you don’t need a tool. If it doesn’t break then why are you trying to replace it at all when another section of chain broke?

I’ve read the circumstances listed but in every case it just makes better sense to break the chain elsewhere and re-pin it or use a spare master link if you have it.

DQ: Am I the only person here that trusts re-pinning a chain and can do so easily? I wouldn’t ride it till the ends of the earth but we are talking roadside repairs here.

1 Like

I would re pin a chain to get home. I also would prefer using a master link.

Re pin is temporary, master link is permanent. Unless we’re talking big ss chains.

I got a little sad looking at the pile of bikes in Dallas and thinking about all the perfectly good dynamo systems that were about to be scrapped.