What did the bike mess thread get renamed to? / post your bike dungeon

Bike room is slowly coming together. Going through everything and I have so much bs stuff I need to sell or get rid of. I’ll get rid of the dumb cabinet thing and build a work bench. Also need to bring the other bikes home from work.

Half the storage issue is this weak ass opening to this closet. The closet extends 2ft from the opening on either side, but how the hell are you supposed to access anything? It’s dumb. Eventually, I’ll knock out the wall to where I can access at least one of the sides.

4 Likes

Put together this little nook. Boxes have caps, gloves/cold weather stuffs, socks, and random helmet bags, glasses cases, towels, etc. Old helmets on top and the two I primarily use hanging.

a

3 Likes

What do you do with old helmets? I have a similarly substantial pile that I don’t know what to do with.

I hit em with a hammer and throw em out.

The hammer is so they go crunch, the garbage is because no one wants a nasty ass old helmet.

1 Like

The only one that really should be thrown out is the orbea helmet at the top. One of the kasks is cracked and one of the other kasks, which is bailey’s, is good except it needs a new retention system. They’re kinda just a display at this point. I get a new helmet every year on the road team, so they have piled up quickly.

This is pretty fun to do

maybe you should Kondo those helmets jeez

1 Like

no u

2 Likes

Well now I feel better about ordering a new helmet to replace one that has blown out sweat pads. I really dislike it when they don’t sell replacement pads a couple years after, always intend on ordering a couple replacement pad sets when I initially pick up a helmet.

Also, always good to have a backup (or many) just in case of anything happening.

Really like the fixie trailer bear art

1 Like

I always loose them when the helmet is in regular rotation. I usually find the pads shortly after trashing it.

IIRC, a while back I remember a helmet company saying you could bring any helmet into one of their dealers to be recycled for $xx off a new helmet. Pretty sure these things can’t be recycled though? I have like three helmets to get rid of but I don’t wanna send them to the landfill for a bong-year… If any little bit can be recycled I’d like to go that route.

Edit: maybe I’ll turn them into hanging planters.

https://helmets.org/recycle.htm

Here you go

1 Like

Is this the correct use of one of my filing cabinet drawers at work? Trash helmet storage?

1 Like

Thanks!

Oh man, this is also great.

I was just looking at that!

Seen on flickr, literal bike dungeon:

4 Likes

Gotta do something with all those leftover tubes after converting to tubeless

1 Like

i’m so glad that milano is front and center for bike torture chat

1 Like

they make great gags