What did you do to your bike today?

Nah, thermally cycling them, like some kind of controlled repeated braking efforts or something like that? To harden them I guess.

As far as I can tell, the rods just help make more of a seal between the tire and the rim strip while you’re setting the bead. When I’d used some actual tubeless Vee Rubber tires and set them up tubeless on the same rims with Gorilla Tape, I had a helluva time setting the bead because it wasn’t tight enough. I think I basically was using the ratchet strap method and an air compressor when I finally got those to seat. With the fatty stripper/foam backing rods, the bead of the tire sits against the rods and that really helped when I hit it with the compressor, basically set the bead without any shenanigans. Reminds me, I forgot to check on them again this morning!

Yeah I emailed Jim and that is what he told me as well.

Nah, thermally cycling them, like some kind of controlled repeated braking efforts or something like that? To harden them I guess.[/quote]

To deposit frictive material on the rotors. You point down a hill and do repeated braking not-quite-to-a-stop to get the pads hot enough to bake off some resin, which attaches to the rotors and makes the braking better because raw steel is slippery. You don’t come to a complete stop in this process because you want an even coating.

Nah, thermally cycling them, like some kind of controlled repeated braking efforts or something like that? To harden them I guess.[/quote]

To deposit frictive material on the rotors. You do repeated braking to get the pads hot enough to bake off some resin, which attaches to the rotors and makes the braking better. You don’t come to a complete stop because you want an even coating.[/quote]
That sounds like it, said he used to do it in Kart racing. I’d never heard of it before.

On the sweet cannondale LB has, today I took off the regular shimano downtube stops and installed some campy “flatback” stops. Now there is no gap where the DT shifters used to be, and it looks much better (to the nerd eye. normies wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.)

We like to take care of the important things around here.

To deposit frictive material on the rotors. You do repeated braking to get the pads hot enough to bake off some resin, which attaches to the rotors and makes the braking better. You don’t come to a complete stop because you want an even coating.[/quote]
That sounds like it, said he used to do it in Kart racing. I’d never heard of it before.[/quote]
I was taught that this was the thing that you had to do to get brake pads burned in.

In hindsight, that might have been an excuse to bomb the big hill behind the shop. But we took our responsibility to go really fast and not stop on other peoples’ bikes very seriously.

As far as I can tell, the rods just help make more of a seal between the tire and the rim strip while you’re setting the bead. When I’d used some actual tubeless Vee Rubber tires and set them up tubeless on the same rims with Gorilla Tape, I had a helluva time setting the bead because it wasn’t tight enough. I think I basically was using the ratchet strap method and an air compressor when I finally got those to seat. With the fatty stripper/foam backing rods, the bead of the tire sits against the rods and that really helped when I hit it with the compressor, basically set the bead without any shenanigans. Reminds me, I forgot to check on them again this morning![/quote]
I didn’t use the foam rods when I set mine up and everything just popped into place when I hit it with the compressor.

I think it’s supposed to depend on the rims. They’re only recommended for older ones that weren’t necessarily meant to be run tubeless.

Obsessively refreshing ruiner fork tracking, which seems to be some sort of quantum thing as it’s flipping back and forth between arriving tomorrow and who the fuck knows.

[quote=puelnewdle]Obsessively refreshing ruiner fork tracking, which seems to be some sort of quantum thing as it’s flipping back and forth between arriving tomorrow and who the fuck knows.

[/quote]
Very much in the same boat this week

I bought a cheap takeoff wheelset for the stoemper while I save money to build something baller. The wheels had mad ugly decals. I tested a bit of paint stripper and the decals came off super easy.

So today I paint stripped the $100 wheels for my stupid expensive bike I have no right to own. A true testament to how I live my life.

Took it out of it’s box, then put it right back inside.

WOW and HY

Pressed in the Vaya’s headset cups and unboxed the Bombtrack.

Double new bike day?

One’s mine (Vaya), one’s a loaner (Bombtrack).

[quote=Perlhammered]Took it out of it’s box, then put it right back inside.

[/quote]

dude

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=Perlhammered]Took it out of it’s box, then put it right back inside.

[/quote]

dude[/quote]
Hella.

I drilled/filed a hole where there used to be no hole in my HT for the stealth dropper that’s arriving tomorrow. Kinda neat thing about having a pretty stout steel frame. Also lengthened the shifter housing.

For my Jones (yeah I realize this is ridiculous):

Gold stem and seatpost from Paul (yeah I realize I’m probably going to be sorry)
Pink hubs
Ano blue bottle cages