What did you do to your crosscheck today?

Oh, hey, I chased some (all) the threads with a tap. Guess the paint folks weren’t that fastidious.

Replaced the millions of steel bolts for bottle cages and whatnot with aluminum ones.

New BB. BSA is glorious and swapped the old BB from the Lemond but it had a cracked plastic bit so… a new one, which was Dura-Ace and like $30 instead of a $200 Hambini one and it likely won’t creak because BSA is glorious.

Was pretty sure I’d messed up the front brake hose when I installed it, that is, I didn’t use the right nut which was the flange nut. Figured I’d have to remove the barb and olive and replace, so I ordered a new barb and olive, which were $6ea because I don’t know if not-Shimano are any good, and I ordered four because extra and I ordered a brake hose because I wasn’t sure if the hose would be too short. Then I received everything I needed to finish the brakes except for that one olive and barb and got impatient and stopped at the LBS by my house to see if on the off chance they’d have one, so I did and I asked for a hose because I thought I might need that too, but it was a jagwire hose, so I asked for just the olive and barb so I could have extra and then bought the whole lot because support LBS and all and once I got home, I pulled the front brake hose and it was fine, i.e. the olive was not compressed, so I just slipped the correct flange nut on there and cinched it up. Then I got tired and neglected to finish it all anyway.

6 Likes

Borrowed the seat and chair pole from the Polyvalent to see if the chair pole on the winter ruiner was causing the creak only to notice the seat collar on the ruiner was making the creaking sound as I loosened it. Was that far along anyway, so continued the swap and didn’t tighten the collar so tight this time and it made zero noises on the way in to work this morning.

1 Like

Huck(ed drop bars) to flat

1 Like

i forget who, but someone has started doing an airlines style setup. you get limited drops but you’re racing xc so just be smart i guess

first spin around the block, handlebars were loose, yay!
brakes need adjustment, yay!
feels light, fast, comfortable during my extended ride around the parking lot
haven’t tested shifters during ride yet, that up next
overall I’m happy and excited to get in a longer ride this weekend

14 Likes

Installed my new external wire uppy downy post on my Bullitt.

8 Likes

With photo proof of both uppy and downy.

My wife would be jealous of that paint. Also, needs more GP5kTL. You are running tubeless, no?

Not tubeless yet, the gatorskin is only a couple of months old so I decided to just buy one gp5k for now.

Spun the block a couple more times
Got shifting 90% there
Tomorrow, bartape
Maiden voyage this weekend

8 Likes

It’s been fun to watch this thing take shape. Is every single part off brand chinacarbon? This has been such an interesting experiment in late stage global capitalism. Wait, I think I see sram cronks.

Frame, wheels, handle bars and stem are chinacarbon
The bars, stem, rims are a higher quality carbon/finish than the frame

Shifters and derailleurs sensah empire
Hydrolic/cable hybrid brakes juin tech

Cranks sram red
Cassette sram force

Specialized saddle from old bike

The shop pressed the BB and installed cranks, everything else was all trial and error on my part

I have a spreadsheet for the entire build if anyone was ever interested

5 Likes

That’s awesome, post it!

2 Likes

This is a link to the build my brother did, which was pretty straight forward for him.

my build came up to roughly $2100 because of mistake ordering hubs, switching to different bar/stem/headset, and choosing different cranks

4 Likes

With links! :heart_eyes:

Awesome! Thanks Ant!

Tried to adjust saddle angle on the winter ruiner and the VO post was already maxed, back to the old post and saddle it is.

Been there. Sometimes things are hard for us leather saddle people.

Literally

3 Likes

Took it out on its inaugural ride.

Everything worked perfectly. Fit was dialed, by eye, even.

Hopped a curb and discovered that I hadn’t tightened the bars when they flopped away from me on landing. Saved it, fortunately.

Later in the day, applied some carbon paste, tightened bars to the prescribed torque, applied bartape.

Tomorrow, ride #2!

Oh, also mourned the paint a little. It’s never going to be this nice again. That paint is soft.

9 Likes

the bars are never tight enough on the first ride
same thing happened to me

also shifter cable rubbed a little spot in the paint before I cut them