What did you do to your crosscheck today?

DH singletrack behind my house. Here’s someone’s run through it:

In that video, timecode 2:06 is where I ate it.

1 Like

Oh! I’ve been there! Love that janky left turn at the top of the ruins. I didn’t know that’s what it was called. The loose chute at the bottom is fun too. My first time up here I biffed it at 2:14-2:15 and slid down that whole section on my ass.

2 Likes

Made good progress on my son’s bike. Everything so far has gone smoothly. Upgrading to Sensah 1x10. Quill stem adapted, using bars I’ve had knocking around for years. He just needs fenders now

13 Likes

Yup… There’s a detour now, which I took after I broke my bars. Even still, rolling out of there was a bit sketchy.

I’ve done the whole thing on a hardtail a couple times and it was still a struggle. Though I was able to get some air of the kickers in the early part of the run, which was fun, but for the rest of it, it’s a struggle to keep speed in check without suspension.

1 Like

With all the snow/ice melting off, there were a lot of clogged storm drains and swollen creek crossings today. I misjudged one crossing, completely swamping my drivetrain. On the other side, I could only get the dangler to shift as far as the middle of the cassette.

When I got home, I pulled the BB and blasted everything to get the water out. I let everything dry, then gave everything fresh lube.

This Festive 500 is a wet one.

3 Likes

Maiden voyage around the parking lot, then decided to go ahead mount some v-brakes and levers from a donor.

I could ride up a refrigerator with this gearing

Waiting on a cable stop for the top tube, brake pads and grips to come in

8 Likes

Where’s the Wald?

5 Likes

Hooked up the 12V battery to the ebike lights and, since they were already wired with the same 5.5 x 2.1mm connector as the battery, everything just worked without extra fussing beyond connecting the extension cable.

There’s been a persistent wiggle feeling in the cranks of my clyd I could never feel it in the stand by hand but alway while riding. I tried swapping pedals and I pulled and reinstalled the crankset.
That was unsuccessful in stopping the wiggle so I pulled the biscuit. Sure enough, there’s a teeny tiny amount of play in the IRD cartridge. I replace the 115mm IRD with a 118mm un54 and the wiggle is gone. Should be fine, right.
I gotta remember to toss that IRD cartridge before I forget that it’s shot and toss it back in my bin of biscuits.

6 Likes

Replaced the bars, which because of internal cable routing felt like rebuilding the whole goddamn bike, so basically, that’s what I did. New hoses because the old ones were too short. New chainrings because I cased the old ones and broke some teeth, and I had a chain wear out prematurely so, why not. New bars, because I broke the old ones. New chain, because… Bled the brakes, adjusted the levers, leveled the bars, dry lubed the pedals, wish me luck.

5 Likes

Hmmm this should be an interesting project, or I wasted $30. We’ll see

15 Likes

Semi horizontal dropouts. Mini-fixed for less than a Katu.

Definitely not a waste of $30

6 Likes

V-brake posts and room for bigger rubber are also good things.

1 Like

9 Likes

I was thinking that, could be a nice mini semi off road situation

never too late to join the circus

what’s the seatpost diameter?

1 Like

Dug these old C’dale ergo bar ends out of the parts bin in an attempt to replicate the handlebars with the unfortunate name that I wasn’t able to get my hands on. Actually feels pretty good.

11 Likes

My garage door equivalent:

Somehow only last year did I notice that the shop had put the stock tires on the wrong wheels when they set it up tubeless back in 2020, so the super-sticky Magic Mary on the rear got extra shredded

Replaced a broken spoke on the rear NDS from the fall, swapped the Hans Dampf to the rear where it belonged, and put a new 2.6" Magic Mary on the front which was kinda awesomely burly in the casing. I had to use both hands and both knees to keep the second bead from jumping out of the rim as I mounted it.

Also replaced the stock dropper with a PNW 200mm and swapped to a 40mm stem, cutting the middle part of this gopro mount out to be euro light compatible: PNW Components Range Stem with GoPro/Headlight Mount – PNW Bikes

I had previously been using this headset spacer mount upside down on top of the stem, which had a cool integrated cable winding spool Kunststoffhalter - Busch + Müller EN

Dialing in the angle on an e-bike light is so much easier not having to get up to speed, can just tweak standing in the middle of a side street using the street signs a block away and the reflectors on parked cars as the gauges

20 Likes

Sled

1 Like