What do you remember about the party foul scene when you started?

wasn’t it a joke thread about dropping cars? making fun of that dude who used to love dropping roadies in central park? i think it’s still my sig over there.[/quote]

Two separate threads. Back when I was a jerkoff spandex hater/ignorant fixed kid I made a thread about passing roadies in the city. Later I made one making fun of another guy for the same thing except about passing cars who couldn’t keep up.

Making fun of dude that said “gears are for the weak” thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=404612
Roadie hate thread (edited the OP in '08): http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=299343

Also I remember this: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=345842
Tarck dudes photoshopping pictures has a long and funny history.

Yeah. I remember the roadie hate, which I found hilarious. After a misguided period of riding mountain bikes on the street I had started riding road bikes again in 1998.

There was also a lot of discussion about how efficient fixed gear supposedly was, and of course the zen. Can’t forget the zen.

Who puked on the Lexus?

I moved out of the country and into the ‘city’ in 2006, I quickly learned that cars aint shit when you’re stuck in traffic, so I went to walmart and got the hottest new shit they had:

I thought that I was the baddest motherfucker in the world because I had dual suspension, and I rode that 40lb beast for a year before the derailers gave out, and I just ghetto singlespeeded it by removing the cable and adjusting the limits. Finally it was so beat down that I couldn’t ride it anymore so I left it behind a dumpster and bought a steamroller in 2008. Game over.

It was a good learning experience though. I learned never to buy a mongoose.

hahahahahahahahahaha

my roommate in boston got me into riding fixed in 2005, built a conversion, joined bf for fgss, moved back to florida was one of the 10 or so who actually rode fixed in town. moved away for two and a half years, move back. everyone who didn’t even ride a bike two years ago are all about fixed gears and freak bikes and they started a coop and think they’re big deals.

[quote=kmcdon3960]

It was a good learning experience though. I learned never to buy a mongoose from walmart.[/quote]

My brand new Nishiki Colorado was stolen from a bike rack on the UNM campus. A friend of mine said, I work with a guy who is a serious cyclist, maybe he can lend you a bike.

Later that week, my friend rolls this thing into my dorm room and my first reaction was, “A road bike? I say, what bullshit is this, old boy?” (note, it was 1991 and, ironically, only MTBs had any street cred.)

Furthermore I noted that the ‘thing’ had no derailleurs and no brakes. “It is a messenger bike.” my friend quipped in lieu of any useful explanation. It would be many, many years before the term ‘fixie’ insulted my lexigraphical sensibilities. I ended up having to figure out how to ride it without dying, absent of the expert tutelage familiar to many of today’s ‘fixters’.

I knew nothing of ‘skidz’, much less mad barspinzz until I was reminded of the bike dancing scene in Quicksilver (my brain is incapable of remembering anything that actor, whose name my brain is incapable of remembering, does). I rode it all over campus but except for a handfull of intrepid journeys to my weed connection, I considered it utterly unsafe and unsuitable for “street riding” since I couldn’t automatically switch over to free-wheel like what’s-his-name from Quicksilver.

It was also dreadfully un-popular, akin to wearing a necklace of shaved, dead kittens. As I rode around campus on the thing, people looked at me like I was a combination of stupid and retarded (unable to denigrate myself to such a degree, I considered my self something of an idiot-savant). I remember thinking, “I won’t be gettin mad bitchez on this ride. This shit is wack.” Indeed it was, indeed it was.

I rode it for a year-and-a-half until I saved up enough for a real mountain bike. By now it was early in the year 1993 and road bikes were no more desirable than a full jar of malarial baby diarrhea. So I promptly forgot about my bike, ‘The Thing’ I called it, for about 12 years until I noticed some douches riding around on similarly propelled craft through my neighborhood. “You’ll regret wasting your time and money on those deathtraps!” I silently admonished these reckless youths, flaunting their acheivements by way of cardstock cleverly wedged into their spokes.

Yet, that very night I began a quest to find ‘The Thing’ which I vaguely remember having traded for a half-ounce of Oaxaca’s finest schwag a half-decade earlier. Regretfully, I never located my formerly despised steed.

So I killed a guy I caught riding down my street on a lame conversion (I didn’t actually kill him, I bought his bike, though).

I was renewed.

Sometime junior year of HS I bought a free spirit from a thrift store for 5 bucks because I didnt want to continue paying for gas all the time. Town I was living in at the time gets like 350 days of sun a year and 9" of precipitation so weather lends itself to cycling. Really was stoked about riding everywhere, summer, winter, whatever. I think people always thought I sold drugs cause I was riding around everywhere all the time with a backpack and a bike. After a while I decided to paint the freespirit, flat black of course, and caught wind of the idea of fixed gears, I think someone showed me FGG, so I bought a pair of wheels and converted it when I put it back together. Rode that bike for a while, put new cranks on it but didnt know anyone who rode, just a couple friends. Eventually I met jgarcia after I moved to college and we started riding a lot more, hanging out, beers. We built polo mallets and started dicking around on this abandoned tennis court on campus, but it was basically just the two of us. Met some more people slowly and started a friday night ride. We’d just meet up and bomb through town raising hell, stop to grad coffee or food or whatever. somewhere in there I had bought the bareknuckle, picked up an old schwinn le tour, converted and then rebuilt it with shimano gold arrow, started road cycling a lot, picked up a touring bike, bought my trek and done a couple centuries and stuff. two winters ago I got super stoked on utility cycling. Riding my touring bike to the grocery store, going to fruit stands on it to buy fresh fruit in bulk, bike camping, shit like that. Dreamed up plans for a coast tour, did that this summer. Worked at a shop for a while in there, but then sort of got fired, sort of quit because they only wanted me to work friday/saturday during race season, even though I was literally the only employee working there actually racing.

username wins again.

Username’s prose rivals some of the best I’ve read. I’m guessing he’s a journalist or writer in professional life.

there was no “fixed gear scene” in minneapolis until a few years back.
I used to put fixed hubs/cogs on everything. road bikes, mountain bikes, even my bmx. There were only a handful of young dudes riding fixed when I got into it about 10 years back. I didn’t know much about parts or fashion back then so I couldn’t tell you what trends were hip that I remember.
Now everyone rides fixed in minneapolis.

January 2008, my friends found these frames in our town creek, I decided I was gonna make a ghetto “fixie” out of one just to try it out.
Bought some bullshit from “fixedgearfreak.com” alexrims, colored tires. Sanded the frame down, painted it mint green.
I then realized the frame was way too small, like a 52cm.
Back then fixedgearfreak was the big shit all over bay area craigslist.
Anyways, I sold that bike for $365 to some idiot for his girlfriend, cottered cranks, no foot renention, 47/14…anyways.
During that period everyone wanted a bright colored fixie, craigslist was the place to go, anyone would spend ridiculous amounts of money on shitty conversions.
Smart people would build them up themselves because it actually showed interest in the bikes.
This next round I found a Raligh super record in my town, I built it up with weinmann dp18’s
Rode it around hella ghetto all summer, still platform pedals, no brakes, the big thing, as it seemed was learning tricks cause thats when a lot of fsfg web videos were popping up. back then it wasn’t really called FREESTYLE FIXED GEAR though it seemed, wasn’t tricktrack yet either. just bootleg sessions.
I really didn’t know much about the scene, nor do i still. I was just into riding my bike, but back then I just knew of fixed gears as fixed gears, track bikes were the expensive ones for people really into it.
Finally, somehow I pulled $400 out of my ass to buy my rush hour pro in august, it was built poorly, but I finally had the nicest bike I’ve ever owned. Worked my way up from magna’s and varsitys in a years time.
I then realized that expensive bikes aren’t really so unnecessary cause they’ll never shit out on you. I’ve had and still have soo many problems with shitty bikes, no longer afraid to go out and spend money on something nice. it can be fun mashing around on taget bikes though, and not having to worry about locking them up.

After that, it all became about just riding. I don’t know what people are doing these days. I just see a lot of entry level “track bikes” fsfg bikes, white rear tires, and a whole lot of douchebags riding them.

Hmmm. My talents are mislaid. I’m a professional brewer for a large brewpub and I occasional sell huge quantities of pot [s and pans and other cooking utensils, like, you know].

college: started riding in ann arbor, 2003, a hi-ten 70s centurion. my pals all lived in a house across from mine that summer, and they got me into cycling as something beyond simple transportation. started going on ten and twenty mile rides with them. one of my friends, jim, converted his bike to fixed in 04, which was the first time i had seen a fixed gear. this was back when you could snap up a decent 80s schwinn at the recycling center for $5. i wasn’t sold on the idea, though my friends were, and eventually jim bought a track frame and built it up for around town. first track bike i had ever seen.

summer 07, my centurion was dead, and moving to chicago was imminent. i was also out of shape, and fixed seem a good way to get back into things. so i bought a trek 400 and converted it. learned a little about bike mechanics in the process, but i still don’t know enough… anyway, rode it most of the winter. joined bf that spring. got into it with bigbris1 here and there. stopped posting on bf (too many bigbrises). got hit by a car, killed the trek. bought a steamroller with the insurance money. rode it all winter, first time for real dedicated winter riding. still riding the 'roller. looking for a touring bike now. THE END.

used to race mtbs in my early teens. in high school i bought a thrift store special fuji grand tourer that was about 10 cm too small cuz it was faster to get around on and plus i could ride it to drinking parties. brought it with me when i moved to montreal. started working as a bike messenger (four years ago this week!) after my childhood biking buddy suggested i try it. rode the fuji around and finally wrecked it in a crash. after a series of loaner-roadbikes, i replaced it with a single speed in the spring of 2006, bought fixie wheels. at the time, only a few messengers were doing it cuz most francophones don’t pick up on trends very well and also montreal is extremely hilly. the only hubs you could get were miche. at the time, i didn’t speak to bike other messengers cuz i can be a bit shy and they were all older bitter franco-dudes who had been doing it since forever. in 2007-2008 i made a bunch of messenger friends and raced a bunch of races. in 2008, i noticed a few new fixy riderz, coinciding with the opening of a trendy fixie-lifestyle-boutique not far from my house but the shit only got popular in any real way this summer, (which i spent sitting on the couch with a broken arm). now i’m back at work and get dirty looks from these fixe aficionados who picked-up messenjing as a summer job.

[quote=trackatino]Also I remember this: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=345842
Tarck dudes photoshopping pictures has a long and funny history.[/quote]

Man goldenskeletons was such a douche. I love how that guy, who posted every fucking day for years and years, had the audacity to say “you bikeforums guys,” like he was some fucking intellectual being forced to read the forum for his thesis. It’s really the whole NYC vs. everyone else thing that went on for years. I think a few guys felt like they owned fixed gear because messengers in New York (none of the posters in question, mind you) arguably popularized the trend.

ahahahahahahahaha

That’s beautiful.

He didn’t answer so I will. Zelah is a transplant… he’s talking about the east coast. Virginia I believe?