In the summer of 2007 I got into riding bikes again. I’d ridden to school in junior high on a Schwinn World Sport (carrying my French horn in its case on the rear rack), wrote my first ever term paper in high school on “The Bicycle As An Alternate Means of Transportation” (and was nearly laughed out of the classroom by my teacher when she heard the topic), and ridden beach cruisers a lot while living in college. I started riding again because I was doing a lot of paddleboarding at the time and it seemed stupid to drive the 1.5mi down to the beach when I could just ride a bike and tow my paddleboard on a trailer instead.
At the time I was exchanging email correspondence with a friend in Colorado, a big time bike enthusiast who is (for all I know) still sort of bumming his way around the world via bike. He suggested I check out a fixed gear bike because it was generally similar in concept (so he said) to the coaster brake equipped beach cruiser I was riding. Stopping with your feet and all that. I remember telling him something about him being crazy & etc.
In November of '07 I got a new job and started bike commuting daily, on the beach cruiser. As I got more into cycling I started noticing the different kinds of bikes around town and whatnot. Started reading BF around the same time, mainly focused on Utility Cycling but would check out the SSFG stuff and some of the other forums.
Thought I was going to be moving to the next town over so planned to get a road bike in order to more comfortably commute the 10 or so miles each way, ended up getting a Cross Check with a flipflop hub because the hub I wanted at the time (Nexus 8 speed IGH) was backordered. Didn’t end up moving but loved riding the fixed gear.
My first real intro to party foul culture came from a poster for some weekly drag races put on by the local fixed gear group. Lurked them a few times from afar but didn’t end up coming out to hang with them till earlier this year. Have now become something of a regular with the local fixed heads and am really enjoying a nice new group of friends. Am also partaking of the pretty diverse range of options in my town’s bike culture, which as it turns out is pretty extensive. Good times all around. Bicycles have become my main thing and I’m loving it.
Along with many others, I was there for the whole Tarckbike insurrection. I was just getting into fixed gears at the time and was still feeling like an outsider, but was really amused by the clumsy heavy-handedness of Brian and crew. Had no real expectations for Tarckbike but it’s turned into my main non-local bike forum. Good stuff here by good people. And ironically so much more civil than at BF, LOL!