wheel building / discussion thread

Those DT Swiss tools are on my list of “gotta get soon”. Building wheels with regular Park spoke wrenches is wrecking my hands and wrists.

re: 650b Adventure 2 chat
I asked Universal, cuz they have the other sizes + Surly Pack Rot.

[quote]As of right now, it doesn’t look like it. I checked with all our distributors and nobody has a listing for that rim.
My guess is that Alex fill all the OE orders they’ll release it as an aftermarket rim. That’s pretty standard practice
for the bike industry. So I would give up hope just yet, but unfortunately I really don’t have anymore information
than my best guess. Feel free to keep checking back with us, if it becomes available, we will carry it.
[/quote]

Someone who works at a computer all day doing bullshit should email Alex.

Filed under “I was pretty sure when I ordered them it was a mistake”- the Park dial indicators are garbage. I knew they would be bad, but ugg. It takes so long for the needle to settle that they are pretty well throwaways. On the upside, the arms they mount to are fine, so I can add some better indicators.

3 sided like this:

[/quote]

Yeah I realized my mistake and edited after that comment.

That’s what I did.

Mine are SPI which work well without being crazy expensive. You have to make sure you get roller tips. Mine don’t really fit so I just fudged them in there. Not sure what dial indicators take roller tips natively, but replace standard tips immediately.

Or go four sided like a P&K Lie - plus some TAF colors.

3 sided like this:

Not 3 sided like this:
[/quote]

Oh thank god. I was thinking, “Isn’t that guy a professional wheelbuilder?”

Hex head and particularly double square head Sapim nipples changed my life. That and a sweet custom lacing jig + small light electric drill has cut my build time down and lessened the burden on my hands.

[quote=Roundabout]Or go four sided like a P&K Lie - plus some TAF colors.

[/quote]
Bought one of these and it scratched the shit out of my rims. Has bare metal touching right to the rim surface. I’ll sell it if someone wants a purple one.

Build time cut down 5-8 minute per wheel and my hands don’t hurt after a week of 4 or 5 wheelsets with this guy and a small electric drill. Not meant for tensioning, purely setting nipples at same depth and some initial tension. I actually grabbed a park nipple driver (square for Enve’s) and modified it to function the same way as I had built 3 Enve wheelsets in one week.

[quote=bward1028][quote=Roundabout]Or go four sided like a P&K Lie - plus some TAF colors.

[/quote]
Bought one of these and it scratched the shit out of my rims. Has bare metal touching right to the rim surface. I’ll sell it if someone wants a purple one.[/quote]
maybe you could remedy that with some grinding and progressively smoother sandpaper to make it less scratchy?

PMd though

Build time cut down 5-8 minute per wheel and my hands don’t hurt after a week of 4 or 5 wheelsets with this guy and a small electric drill. Not meant for tensioning, purely setting nipples at same depth and some initial tension. I actually grabbed a park nipple driver (square for Enve’s) and modified it to function the same way as I had built 3 Enve wheelsets in one week.

[/quote]

I started with that 5 or so years ago.

Last year cut apart that park three way hex/hex/square tool and never looked back.

My lacing jig is a few feet off the ground and the wheel mounts horizontally so I can sit the fuck down while I lace and do the first round of tensioning with an unmolested version of the same park tool before moving to the truing stand.

Godammit I have to bring my lacing routine into the current century. My hands aren’t the issue (stress relieving is way more taxing), but I am slow at initial assembling.

Yeah, that lacing jig looked pretty sweet. Saw it on IG

Lacing jig looks rad. We use DT brass Pro lock as much as we can, unless rim required other stuff.

Get me into 700c rims again
Reasonably light
28h
“Wide”
Tubelessable
Disc brakes

For use with 25mm tires

DT RR 411? comes with squorx & washers. 20-32H, 410g, 18mm inner.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rims/road/performance/rr-411/

Bingo.

So basically those to 350s and I’m good