Where’s the winter cycling thread?

What’s up, minor henchman in an early 90’s cyberpunk movie

8 Likes

That’s def the look I’m going for.

I managed to ride for the entirety of the exact 100 minutes that it snowed today. On the bright side, it was well above freezing, so I got the hell-combo of wet snow coming down, and near-freezing water spraying up.

There’s no Gabba jersey for stupidity, unfortunately.

I like it. I’d rock it. Cooler than any helmet I have.

I saw these pants at Target yesterday and they’d be killer winter commuting pants:

The outside is a stretch nylon, and they’re lined with stretch fleece. Unfortunately they didn’t fit me at all, despite their jeans fitting perfectly.

They’re $26, which seems crazy cheap.

(The unlined version fits well by going up a size in waist and length - I bought a pair to try out)

1 Like

So I should get a 32x32 if I’m a 30x30 typically?

I’m a 32x30 in Wrangler jeans (regular cut). For the regular Wrangler Outdoor Flex I needed 34x32. In the lined pants the 32x30 was too small. The 34x32 was close but the waist was too big.

I keep coming into this thread and being reminded that y’all are talking about real winter.
Can I shit this thread up with talking about riding in high 40s low 50s with fog or light rain? Is there a west coast winter thread I can join in on?

1 Like

what would be a good pant to wear as nice pants at my job at a bank but is also wind proof? does such a thing exist?

At Target there was another version of the Outdoor pant that was a heavy dense twill. Sort of like Dickies but even denser.

no, you are forbidden from this thread
you can create a “east coaster’s spring/fall” thread for that

:crying_cat_face:

hey, being a little chilly and damp can be really annoying. I think you can post here.

First time trying to increase the water repellancy of a garment. The REI coop jacket has a removable cape/sleeve that is fantasticly waterproof but the vest portion is just a little too permeable. Wondering if this will mess up the grid of reflective thread

it shouldn’t affect the reflectivity at all. I believe i used it on my wife’s all over reflective jacket to refresh some water repelency after it had been washed a few times and it didn’t seem to affect it at all. I’m a big fan nikwax products.

That reminds me, I gotta pick up some for my rain gear.

The really expensive keen winter boots I bought suck. “Rated” to -40F, but my toes were cold riding when it was 22F. I guess the 400 grams of insulation are all in the ankle part. And even then if you don’t tie them just right, cold air seeps into the shoe.

I have Reynaud’s and have actually gotten frostbite on a 200k - I’m pretty critical of “warm” gear…the 45NRTH boots are fucking awesome and I would highly recommend them. The old “Japanther” model is no longer being made and you may be able to find some on clearance in onlinebikeworld

Edit: wasn’t paying attention to weather you were looking for cleat-compatible boots, if not then my recommendation is less good, but I’ve been pretty happy with 45NRTH’s stuff.

Do you have enough room between your sock and the boot? I once had a problem where I didn’t size up my winter boots and was wearing really thick socks that were compressed enough that I wasn’t taking advantage of the sock loft & creating a warm air pocket buffer.

Also riding is very different from walking
More wind and less blood to the feet