Where's the dumb questions thread?

The Dakine packs are popular around here. I think I only got to use a bottle once last year, just because it was so hot most of the time.

have that one, it’s great for hiking.

Hip pack.
On trend, and live up to the hype.
I just got a high above pack so I could carry more bottles. It’s rad.

Wearing any pack that presses on my tummy in any way seems like a nightmare to me.
Probably because I’m fat.

Anyone have any good suggestions for beefing up the tang of a Nitto M18 for basket duty?

[quote=Rusty Piton]Wearing any pack that presses on my tummy in any way seems like a nightmare to me.
Probably because I’m fat.[/quote]

???
hip packs don’t press on your tummy. that’s why they’re called hip packs, not belly packs…

They do cut into you beneath your belly overhang, especially when you’re leaned over riding a bike. I like a fanny pack on the bike sometimes, but if I’m leaned over road grinding it digs into my fatness. Fat people issues.

Saw a friend use a thicker tang from a Soma Pouteur rack… or 304 stainless steel + vice + drill + saw?

ah, didnt really think of that. women’s bodies are often biggest around the hips, regardless of belly size, so less prone to that (though of course we come in all shapes). having wide hips and narrower waist does cause an inverse issue, though, where a fanny pack will bounce up and no longer be secure, instead just twirling around at a less than optimal time (usually super bouncy steep downhill).
i also only wear one mtbing and see lots of bigger dudes riding them on mtbs, so maybe the more upright position makes it less of an issue.

If I plan on wearing a hip bag for more than just around town errands. It’s going to be attached to my actual belt that goes through my belt loops so I don’t have to worry about it moving at all.

What’s the best plan for basketbiking a rigid mtb that is totally devoid of braze-ons as cheeply as possible?
i.e. which Wald basket should I get and where do I attach the p-clamps?

put it on the axle

A standard Wald basket just goes through the quick release. That’s how I have it set up on my Antelope.

On a QR?
Or are we talking between the fork and the locknut on the axle?
I’ll go with what Tarck says, but I feel like basket stays on a QR is a bad idea.

So which basket? I don’t know that I’ve seen enough to judge the size correctly.

go to the bike shop and buy one there. youre not saving much by using the internet

Yeah, I’d like to get it locally.

Kyle I have a wald basket you can have.

Sweet!

What is the best method for stripping a bad spray paint job from on top of an untouched factory paint job on an old steel frame? I picked up a Miyata 712 today that has been painted over. It’s already peeling off all around the bottom bracket shell where I’m assuming some wd40 was sprayed, and I can tell no prep was really done prior to spraying. I was thinking some degreaser, or oil or maybe gasoline would soften it up enough to scrape off easily, but I also want to keep the decals intact.