Where's the dumb questions thread?

Sheeat, maybe I should find a kid seat that’ll work on the Tachyon. Just sucks coz a) the seat we have is awesome. b) lil guy will outgrow it quick.

But since this is the dumb question thread and all, this is the seat…

I got a second seat tube mount jawn with it, we usually use it on the tandem. I was thinking about puting the second mount on the captain’s seat tube and having him ride in the middle position when Amy’s not along ala extracycle style.

And fuck no, that is not me or my kid.

The disc fork I’m running on the Tachyon would fit on the Stowe but it has about a 20mm longer a-c distance, that sounds awful.

edit: 33mm taller

I don’t think those Tektro brakes suck nearly as much when the pads aren’t shoved all the way down to the ends of the slots. I’ve a pair of noname 53-73ish brakes on my Trek (~60mm reach) and, despite not being v-brakes, they’ve got enough power to skid/stoppie the thing as well as modulate as nicely as any of my other brakes do.

well duh

the pictured kid is missing his 1ft beard

I think EJ’s in 1" land.

EJ, if you go with a new seat, the one up by the bars is good. With like a 29x2.0 slicks rigid setup and wide bar, it’s my fav dadbike setup so far- and I’ve tried a lot.

I don’t think those Tektro brakes suck nearly as much when the pads aren’t shoved all the way down to the ends of the slots. I’ve a pair of noname 53-73ish brakes on my Trek (~60mm reach) and, despite not being v-brakes, they’ve got enough power to skid/stoppie the thing as well as modulate as nicely as any of my other brakes do.[/quote]

yeah this is for real

they get some flex in them, but they do actually stop well if you pay the least bit of attention to keeping the pads reasonably close

a lot of road dicks come out worse in most conditions

Maybe compared to some Hayes road dicks or something but no where near as much powah as shimano, trp, or even avid in my first hand experience

with the right setup, including the use of thinline pads, a nice Tektro can feel like a slightly soft v-brake

STI levers really help, just like with mini-vs and especially road dicks

unlike those, long dual pivots don’t have a MA mismatch — the extra cable pull soaks up the flex instead, makes for a very different feel

Allow me to clarify with the exact setup.

The Tektro R559 caliper was setup with good aftermarket pads with alloy carriers. High quality housing.
Pads were indeed maxed out in lowest position. Brakes felt ok but grabbing a fist full of lever created obvious flex in the caliper long after the pads had contacted the rim. While riding off road the relative weakness of the brake really announced itself to the rider.

It was replaced with the cheaper road Shimano R517 disc caliper and RT-56 rotor. Resin pads / resin specific rotor.

After a short break in period a big improvement in overall stopping power as well as feel was reported by the bikes owner, one of the other mechs, and myself.

Man I kind of really like the way the Tachyon is set up right now, ain’t gonna steel parts off of it. Looks like Sheldon’s kid did a 25 mile ride on a tandem with a short stoker kit at age 2.5. Waylon is going to be 4 in May, I’m just going to bite the bullet and get a kit for ours over the winter.

Looks take the better part of $600 to set it up right.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]with the right setup, including the use of thinline pads, a nice Tektro can feel like a slightly soft v-brake

STI levers really help, just like with mini-vs and especially road dicks

unlike those, long dual pivots don’t have a MA mismatch — the extra cable pull soaks up the flex instead, makes for a very different feel[/quote]

i wonder if compressionless brake housing would be enough to get things performing acceptably for those not using shimano in situations where these brakes would be the most desirous solution.

we’ve got an old bridgestone road frame at the shop with fender mounts i just may have to experiment with if i could get the dadgum seatpost unstuck.

DQ: WTF am I looking at here? How does it work???

Untitled by Saccade, on Flickr

Works just like a v brake but the arms are super wide. The funky stuff on the right side is essentially the same as a v-brake noodle and stirrup and then the cable going over the pulley makes the connection so it actuates both arms.

Makes my eyeballs hurt.

I think it’s one of those things that really needs a video in order to make perfect sense.

see effbuilding thread. I should make a gif

Glad I am not the only one confused.

Purposely remembering that housing pushes when the cable pulls helped when I was staring at the brake trying to figure it out.