Winter Cycling 08/09

welcome to the official winter thread.

i love how everyone i pass on a bike is most likely a badass. it is so much easier to wave/nod at all of the other cyclists these days. good riddance fair weather cyclists.

discuss all things winter cycling here.

My water bottle freezes. Will anti-freeze help?

im getting a rob roy from bward to replace the specialized hardrock that ive been riding in the rain. super stoked.

nothing short of getting really sick keeps me from riding all year long.

on a side note, maybe its just because its the NW, but the bike racks always seem to get super filled when its raining. anyone else experience this?

Hmmm… must be a NW thing. Racks here in Mpls/StP definitely don’t become busier when it rains, and now’s the time of year when things are really sparse, at least at my office and the school I work at. Oftentimes I’m the only one with a bike at the rack, and that’s kinda nice.

Also kinda nice- having a beard in the winter that gets covered in crystalized condensation. Feels soooo burly.

I’ve noticed it too. Lots of balaclava-clad bike ninjas out on the trails lately. If you see me, I’ll be wearing a red ski jacket and white goggles, and riding this:

I can’t wait to actually ride on top of lake Wingra.

fuck yeah

Apparently mountainbikers are more hardcore than roadies. There aren’t many roadies out these days, but the local trails are jammed full of people.

Well, yeah… carbon fiber melts when exposed to road salt and/or temperatures below 50 degrees farenheidt.

Steel (or aluminum or Ti or whatever they’re making mountain bikes out of these days besides carbon) is real.

Trail riding is so much fun when the ground is super hard and frozen. SO FAST!

Last year I rode this:

But this year, I’ll ride this:

(I dig on aero-bars because the midwest is hella windy.)

practicality is definitely the way to go.

Hoorah for practicality. I’ve never liked aerobars myself, but definitely appreciate having a way to get outta the wind. Drops for me.

For those riding fixed in the winter- do you lower your ratio significantly? Not at all?

I went from 44/16 to 44/17 n’ 19 with my Dingle cog. The little drop in the higher gear is nice for cutting through snow and the 19 comes in real handy when things get really crappy and/or I’m hauling my flatbed.

I hate the picture, but I love the bike. Miyata 912 w/ race blades. Granted, “winter” in the Bay Area isn’t shit compared to what a lot of other peeps contend with, but still.

My bottom bracket is already all creaky from moistah. :frowning:

Not sealed?

sealed but old and in need of service. or maybe it’s just mah crankz.

This thread reminds me that I need to get my winter bike setup.

Lately I’ve just been riding my orange whip in summer mode with a clip on fender if needed, but yesterday I realized that soon it will not suffice.

Full fenders and a rack ftw!

Yes, say for alcohol:

5% -2.5
10% -5
20% -10
25% -15
30% -20
40% -30
55% -40

[quote=“kowloon”]
I hate the picture, but I love the bike. Miyata 912 w/ race blades. Granted, “winter” in the Bay Area isn’t shit compared to what a lot of other peeps contend with, but still. [/quote]

What is this “winter” you speak of?

[quote=“halbritt”][quote=“kowloon”]
I hate the picture, but I love the bike. Miyata 912 w/ race blades. Granted, “winter” in the Bay Area isn’t shit compared to what a lot of other peeps contend with, but still. [/quote]

What is this “winter” you speak of?[/quote]

those coupla days when it be rainin’ n’ shit.

I hate cold riding.