Winter cycling 2013-2014

I wonder if a better solution would be to get something like a Zzip wind fairing and bolt it to the front of the rack and the handlebars? If it worked, it would be a double treat; it would keep your hands more or less out of the wind no matter whether you live drop lyfe or hoods, and it would give you approximately ∞ fred points during the winter months.

yo, even better if you also had a poncho attachment so you could just enclose the front of your bike in a big ass-fabric tent that extended over your body as well…

I believe it’s a federal law that if you do that you need to switch to riding recumbents and wearing spd sandals. I’d certainly not judge you for doing so, but many people might consider that a fred too far.

I wrote that to illustrate the line your riding David. Shit is hella fine.

from none other than rivbike

P.S. I don’t know how ya’ll move into coats without moving into gloves. I do gloves first… I’ve even worn gloves with a t-shirt. Fuck. Gloves first for sure.

First freeze here last night. Woke up to 34 degrees. Kinda surprised… it’s early for that here.

One month in to actually cold-ish Wisconsin weather after my move from Atlanta. I’ve already gotten as far as the super-warm team kit jacket I overbought 6 years ago. I’ve got about 10 more degrees of cold in the tank with the current clothing collection. After that, no guarantees. Do have the studded tires and winter-dedicated bike built. Realized too late that bar mitts are not that great if you have downtube shifters…

Follow Todd’s playbook for acclimation. Go straight into the worst of it until you find yourself huddled in a gas station bathroom unable to continue. Then turn it down a notch and be fine.

Todd, which hat were you looking at again? Don’t ask me why but I rather like the ladies one. The herringbone pattern is hardly noticeable but gives it kind of a Nordic feel.

Sorta sad I got beat to hatcheting Orc. Some lols were had.

Oh, great, and now you’ve got me to thinking that I need to get one of those zzip fairings and do a photo session with it on my sweet fixie™.

Only if you park it outside your new storefront as and advertisement.

Roger that.

lulz. I hate hate hate the cold, but I’ve been doing the trial by fire thing this fall too. Did it last winter with greatest success.

Yo b-roll, I had DT shifters and bar mits too, and to be fair in real madison winter salt and grit your dangler isnt going to work. Also unless you are fucking around on the beltline or out by fitchburg you have one hill going up to the capital that you can easily avoid or just power up, so really you dont need to shift.

rando, I think im going to go with their regular winter hat, or the winter cross hat. The deep winter one might be too real for most days here and I can always layer some merino under it. Ive had one of the knit hats before while being nice it was not a functional under helmet deal and it stretched out like whoa.

Whats the consensus on insulated multi crash helmets (bern or whatever)?

[quote=aerobear]P.S. I don’t know how ya’ll move into coats without moving into gloves. I do gloves first… I’ve even worn gloves with a t-shirt. Fuck. Gloves first for sure.

First freeze here last night. Woke up to 34 degrees. Kinda surprised… it’s early for that here.[/quote]

Keep core warm and everything else will be warm… in theory. My hands get chilly right now but I can still mostly feel my fingers and once I warm up it’s just like a summer day. There is a limit to this where my skin actually starts to hurt and I can’t feel my fingers. That’s when gloves come out (around freezing?).

It’s getting chilly in Seattle, but not much rain and i’m still wearing a thin wool sweater. I did wear my puffy vest once, but took it off halfway. The first half of my commute is a 300 foot descent and the second half is a 500 foot climb. It’s tough to dress for, unless I HTFU and shiver for the first ten minutes.

Anyone have 32-40 degree glove recommendations? My pair from last winter are beyond trashed and most of the other ones I’ve worn are terrible.

defeet duragloves (wool ones) are pretty awesome

I’m going to try those after my Icebreaker pair develops holes. I think defeet socks are the only wool socks that don’t rip after a few weeks of use.

This–expecting to get a less/non-ventilated helmet upsized to fit more insulation.

For PNW gloves: Gavias with smartwool liners under them handled all the Seattle winter I ever rode in.

Finally bought a soft shell for the first time ever. All I’ve ever used before is layers of technical fabrics and wool. Will be nice for when I’m off the bike too.

Soft shells are my jam. I have one gore windstopper jacket that’s been my go to jacket for almost 4 years now.