Winter cycling 2013-2014

I love my gore windstopper. A lot. It even has nearly long enough sleeves for my monkey arms. wrt helmets, I’ve gone down to ~0 °F with just my cannondale technical silky beanie under my normal helmet and a neck gator pulled up to my ears. Didn’t want anything else.

Yeah the specialized jacket that I got is an xl in the raciest fit, it could be a little tighter around my chest but it was the only jacket we stock that fit (long enough arms and torso) that wasn’t a bank breaking Assos jawn.

Ordered a pair of these today.

Everyone I know that has had one thinks it is too warm for all but the coldest days. Looking at helmets last Fall the shop said the only reason they carry them is so many people ask for them despite being warned.

Bike helmets with less ventilation like my prolight work great with a couple of hats for different temps. This year I’m using a thin windstopper beanie and a synthetic mountaineering hat with an ear band sewn in. Thick and warm where you want it and thin enough on the top to release excess heat without freezing you when stopped.

I got some defroster shoes last year and love them, I’ve been looking at their jackets this year. Aside from the fit, are you pleased with it?

I was looking at soft shells yesterday at the shop, they also had these Endura jerseys that look pretty sweet, windproof front with fleece back for $100

http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=126&prod_id=584

[quote=lukasz]
Keep core warm and everything else will be warm… in theory. My hands get chilly right now but I can still mostly feel my fingers and once I warm up it’s just like a summer day. There is a limit to this where my skin actually starts to hurt and I can’t feel my fingers. That’s when gloves come out (around freezing?).[/quote]

Re learned this on an upper windy low 40s ride. Was just in a long sleeve jersey and everything felt fine untill about an hour in when I lost feeling in my hands despite it note being cold out. Core heat is essential.

I got some defroster shoes last year and love them, I’ve been looking at their jackets this year. Aside from the fit, are you pleased with it?[/quote]
I only got it yesterday and it warmed up today so haven’t even had a chance to use it properly yet. Will report. I do dig that its all black but still reflective though.

Any recommendations for a soft shell/jacket for weather around freezing? I want something with a racy cut that’s good in wind and light rain. I’m not really going to be riding cause busy with other sport until late February but I want to get something good for then.

Also l/s jerseys with a racy fit? I don’t like arm warmers much and I want something I can rock with a wind vest in late spring.

this is exactly the temperature range i can’t find a good glove for.

there is always one in every winter thread. this year, it is you.

[quote=scrub]I was looking at soft shells yesterday at the shop, they also had these Endura jerseys that look pretty sweet, windproof front with fleece back for $100

http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx?dept_id=126&prod_id=584[/quote]

i have last year’s model, and i love it for winter road rides. it’s a jersey that’s well on its way to becoming a jacket. front beads water nicely for not being truly waterproof, back ventilates, nice pockets, long sleeves. with a long sleeve wool baselayer i can rock this down to about 25-30* temps.

never used it for such but i’m sure it could be fine over casual clothes for commuting in the upper 30s-40s. that said i plan on getting their urban softshell for that kinda stuff. we sell endura at our shop and stuff is a great deal, even at msrp.

this is exactly the temperature range i can’t find a good glove for.[/quote]

i been using endura windchill gloves or something similar. i’m a fan.

Planet bike aquillo gloves have done me well in 40ish degree weather.

Rauce, look into a ls windstopper baselayer and softshell vest. I know a lot of people who swear by them that have softshell jackets with vents. Rapha Winter jersey is another option. That baselayer might be too warm for Spring or could pull double duty.

Emor, look at the Arcteryx softshell gloves. Can’t guarantee the quality is what it used to be but well worth the money if it is. I have a pair of stinger’s that have lasted me almost 10 years including getting run over by a lawnmower. They just refuse to fall apart with thoughtful use.

hey shoe size L/44-46 bros
i have a pair of these

i got them from dentist forums for $35+ship
they’re yours for $35/shipped.
i just want them out of my sight

ibex wool base layer is fucking great, btw

^ x1000

their windproof boxers are the shit too.

this is exactly the temperature range i can’t find a good glove for.[/quote]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NALINI-2013-LECCE-MANTOSHIELD-WINTER-GLOVES-BLACK-L-4-/360649619732

Nalini manto are the best gloves I’ve ever used bar none. My pair is from last year and surplus from some team but I’m pretty sure they’re the same. Unlike a lot of gloves they don’t seem to ever get too warm, and the wind blocking really, really works and makes them warmer than they should be in sub freezing temps. When it gets really cold I throw on wool gloves under them for extra insulation.

Yep. The fit is SUPER snug, which is key.