worst bicycle mistakes you've ever made

[quote=deadforkinglast]Tried to clear a small trench off of a 1ft. drop on my Trek before I could even do a wheelie. Ended up sending the front wheel into the trench, bending my top and down tubes and making an ass of myself. Effectively killed that Trek, as well, though I rode it for another few months because I couldn’t afford a new frame. I miss that frame a lot. To this day, I wish I was going faster and leaning back more. That frame fit so well and rode so great, all slack and 80’s sport-bikey, with a super low BB and clearance for dayzzzz because it was built for 27" but I used 700c.

I cleared this same thing on the Stumpjumper last week. Felt like I had, in some way, come back and redeemed myself in the climactic scene of the most boring sports movie ever.[/quote]
I tried to clear a 2’ drop over a 3’ wide creek and did the same thing with my rigid 29er. Luckily, Surlys are tough as fuck so no serious damage to the bike, but I absorbed the fall with my head and cracked my helmet. Thank god for helmets.

wait did I send you that carbon Leader fork I broke?

to white folks

See your biggest mistake here was willfully attending an alkaline trio show.[/quote]
burn

See your biggest mistake here was willfully attending an alkaline trio show.[/quote]
burn[/quote]
lol. I don’t get the A3 love… but I guess at the time they were popular I was probably listening to 311.

i shamelessly loved alk3 when i was 13-14. It’s silly but there are far worse bands

this. all day every day this.

I listen to some shitty music but at least I have irony to back me up

YOUR IRONY WON’T SAVE YOU

ITT music burns and hoser turns. move on

nothing really.

i worked at a bike shop as my first “real” job at age 15, at that time i rode a dept. store mtb.

so i knew a lot about bikes before i got seriously into them. that make sense?

i did convert my father’s touring bike (that he rode across/around this country, and across europe twice) to a fixed gear as my first.
but he did want to throw it out, so whatevz

i do/did ride some bikes that don’t fit that well, and i rode this fixed gear for a while that had something like 8 or 9 (maybe i’m exaggeratig, idk) inches of saddle-top of bar drop. and that was with drop bars.
when i was in the drops i could take a finger off and stretch it out and it would hit the top of the front tire.

i’ve never ridden brakeless or a stupid high ratio though.

creating my disgusting TAF fixie

yeah that’s a bad one

Taking a corner too fast and trying to brake in the middle of it, leading to a broken kneecap (10+ weeks recovery) and a major dent in the TT of my crosscheck. This also happened on the first day of spring break, about 5 hours before I was supposed to be on a train to Chicago.

Removing the brazeons from my first conversion. It was just a shitty Fuji, though.

Failing to adequately secure a box of cupcakes on my rear rack. At least I got to see a city bus run over a bright pink box of cupcakes.

When I was about 5 I tried to bunny hop a log on my driveway. Ended up with stitches above my right eye and, somehow, on the roof of my mouth.

@ minah nah got it from lil jeezy

@ amy hey there is a lot you can blame me for, but you wanted red wheels and flip flops, you got 'em

Riding through open field in the middle of the night at top speed to avoid ticket for trespassing, leaving lights off so cops couldn’t see me, running smack into a bench and giving my conversion true track geos and hella toe overlap. Luckily my handbuilt Campy/Mavic front wheel was totally unharmed and is still in use. The frame was used to make a shop stool.

[quote=white folks]@ minah nah got it from lil jeezy

@ amy hey there is a lot you can blame me for, but you wanted red wheels and flip flops, you got 'em[/quote]

actually you bought the red wheel, then convinced me to get a deep v to match it.

not pre-riding A-Line on whistler before killer bombing it, on the first weekend i graduated high school.

will live with the injuries for a long time, the bike was fine.

not figuring out sizing or doing any research before deciding “FUCK IT I NEED A SWEET FIXED GEAR” and buying my iro the same day.

going brakeless on my bmx bike when the ‘brakeless fad’ hit in the late 90s. then not realizing i still needed brakes for trails.

losing an untightened quick-release front wheel mid-wheelie … going downhill. i still walk with a slight limp when it’s cold.