worst bicycle mistakes you've ever made

not tightening my rear wheel properly resulting in a face plant going 25mph

+1

noob and riding 48/14 brakeless and down dean keaton hill everyday then up
never crashed or anything though coz skillz

on my first bike, before i had plentiful internet access to ask dumb questions:

bought a 49x52cm bike before I knew i was a ~55sq.

cut old tires off with a knife, quickly learned of steel bead when it dulled my kershaw.

took apart brakes, could not put back together without leftovers.

took apart looseball hubs and finger tightened cones and locknuts…broke campag record pista cone…could not replace. replaced with generic road steel axle and cones.

spent like a week sanding down to rattle can matte black.

rattle canned all parts matte black.

bought 700c tires for 27" wheels, spent all night trying to make them fit.

rode a few blocks with a bubble of tube sticking out from under the tire.

got 2 flats in a row coz didn’t check for cause of original flat.

rode with only front brake for a while, ran into back of cab.

hammered out a (thought to be) stuck stem from the underside, smushed the threads on bottom of wedge bolt.

sold record pista wheelset for $50AUD.

let frame sit outside at beach apartment until too rusty to be worth anything, sold at garage sale for $80AUD.

rode around big gear no brakz big seatpost extension track drop stem deep drop track bars.
stem too short saddle to far forward shitty clips n straps chain tight ksiddin all over place run red lights run stop signs squeeze gaps ride like all around jackass
worst is not wearin spandex on long ridez coz not down with that…lulz.

wrecking my dad’s nishiki riding drunk home from an alkaline trio show.

finding a Bianchi mtb frame in trash perfectly rattlecanned black, trying to strip it, coming out shitty so I left it outside where it rusted. :\

been there. got started riding on a conversion fixed i built from a frame i had found in a dumpster. i knew 60cm was too big, but never would have imagined i should have gone down to a 55/56.

signing up on tarckbike.com

I should add I still have the frame and may employ it eventually

i done some dumb dumb things

probably the best of the best is epoxying like 1/8th inch of Cf steer tube to a fork

on a leader

damn what was i thinking

[quote=white folks]i done some dumb dumb things

probably the best of the best is epoxying like 1/8th inch of Cf steer tube to a fork

on a leader

damn what was i thinking[/quote]

lol i forgot about that

i’m going to cop up to some unfortunate bar angles, but that’s it…

wait kryloning my kilo.

definitely a bicycle mistake.

and letting doug talk me into some shitty anodized wheels

I ran into a curb on my full chome '74 Atala track frame on my way home from a 30 mile ride at 1am. It kinked the top and down tubes.

Tried to clear a small trench off of a 1ft. drop on my Trek before I could even do a wheelie. Ended up sending the front wheel into the trench, bending my top and down tubes and making an ass of myself. Effectively killed that Trek, as well, though I rode it for another few months because I couldn’t afford a new frame. I miss that frame a lot. To this day, I wish I was going faster and leaning back more. That frame fit so well and rode so great, all slack and 80’s sport-bikey, with a super low BB and clearance for dayzzzz because it was built for 27" but I used 700c.

I cleared this same thing on the Stumpjumper last week. Felt like I had, in some way, come back and redeemed myself in the climactic scene of the most boring sports movie ever.

Getting rid of my BMX D:
I did a backflip on that thing when i was 6. Shit is legendary.

[quote=zooktruck]Getting rid of my BMX D:
I did a backflip on that thing when i was 6. Shit is legendary.[/quote]
Fuckin’ gnarly, dude.

See your biggest mistake here was willfully attending an alkaline trio show.

I shouldn’t have dremelled the braze ons off my marinoni to make it a sweet fixie. Even though I still ride that bike all the time as a roadfix, it makes me facepalm a little inside.

See your biggest mistake here was willfully attending an alkaline trio show.[/quote]

not cool man, not cool