Would you ride a recumbent?

[quote=the little prince][quote=Ranger Rick]the last one looks like the bike form of this w/o the bumpers and trim

aka would ride.

edit: and this
[/quote]

James Dean had a Speedster and that’s what inevitably killed him.

[/quote]

that car kept on killing too.

"So the world cried and James was buried and George Barris, aka the “King of Kustomizing” bought the remains of the Porsche Spyder for $2500. And at what should have been the end of the story of the tragic death of a Hollywood legend, the story gets really weird and an urban legend was born.

You see, despite his earlier misgivings that the car gave off a “weird feeling of impending doom”, George Barris decided to sell pieces of the car off. Even after it fell and broke a mechanic’s leg while they were unloading it after George purchased it.

George sold the engine and drive train to two doctors, Dr. Troy McHenry and Dr. William Eschrid. They each used the parts in their own racing cars and planned to race in the upcoming car race at the Pomona Fair Grounds in CA. And in a race marked with doom, each of them crashed. Dr. Eschrid lost control of his car and almost lost his life when his car overturned. Dr. McHenry did lose his live when he lost control and had a bad crash. Was it just coincidence or were even the parts from the Spyder somehow tainted?

George then sold two tires from the car to an unnamed young man. It is said that the man returned to him in a week to inform him that both tires had blown out at the exact same moment, causing him to crash into a ditch.

George Barris, unwilling to sell any more of the car, allowed the California Highway Patrol to use the car in a safety exhibit. One night while the car was in storage in a garage, the garage went up in flames. All of the cars were destroyed, except for James Dean’s Porsche Spyder, which only suffered some smoke damage. Shortly after, while on display at Sacramento High School in Sacramento, CA, the car fell off its pedestal and broke a student’s hip.

Then it was involved in a few more car accidents, even though it was mangled almost beyond recognition and completely undrivable. On the way to Salinas, the flat-bed truck that was carrying it was involved in an accident. The driver was thrown free of the truck into a ditch, lucky to survive. Alas, his luck was short-lived when the Porsche fell off the truck and crushed him. A couple more accidents happened, when trucks that were hauling it crashed. And then in 1959, while on display, it suddenly collapsed into 11 pieces for no apparent reason.

Finally George Barris had enough and requested that the Porsche be boxed up and shipped back from the safety exhibit it was part of in Miami, FL. The boxes were loaded onto a truck bound for California, but they never showed up. Somewhere en route, the car vanished without a trace. And over 40 years later, it still has not been found."

Only when I’m drunk.

TAF

trikes look fun, my uncle has one. but he’s middle aged and bearded

Eh, maybe.

I has one. I got it from some students at the U of U who built it for a project. I actually have two, but one of them is really shitty and needs to die. I think I’m going to go out to the garage to start building it up.

i totally want to try one out

probably would try one out, just to dick around. i dont know how you could seriously ride that shit though. seems scary.

Have I ridden a 'bent? Yes, a shit load of them. Would I own and ride one, fuck no! I work at a shop that sells recumbents and I hate selling them and even talking to owners or wannabe owners of them. The owners are all old and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes, they can be very very fast until you see an incline. I haven’t ridden any of the really high dollar carbon or Ti ones, but a number of expensive ($3K+) steel and aluminum ones. The only way I would own one would be as a parts donor to move to a NORMAL BIKE, and not a Lazy-boy with fucking wheels.

Ugh, I don’t know about this thing. It’s gonna weigh like 50 lbs.

It’s all about the aero you weight weenie.

sounds like a typical ann arbor ultrasmugness x too much money collabo.
edit which shop do you work at? two wheel tango?