Wow, this shit is all different now! (Hi.) (Townie musing.)

im into the bar end x brake lever combo
sort of like a fred brifter

JTEK JUST KICKED IN YO

That’s some next level shit right there.

holy f you just blew my mind, i’m definitely going to run that on next bike

which batrape? looking ace as fuck.

I vote for DT shifters and then whatever bar/brake/grip combo you feel like. I can’t really imagine a situation where you’d be at a disadvantage with a set-up like that using DT shifters, and it would make it that much easier to do a cool bar/brake set-up and a clean cockpit.

Barcons would be slightly more convenient – not a ton, but not having to reach all the way down to the DT to shift is worth something atmo. Not a lot, but a little. Plus I’m pretty sold on the Jtek idea. Those levers look amazing.

Now I have to figure out exactly what I need for this. Namely, which bars (do I want Albatrosses or a real French bar with serious rise?), which stem (this is threadless, so that’s gonna be weird), etc…

I had some cheap alvio mtb shifters on my cross bike with kona cruiser bars for a while, the front shifter sucked balls cus road front der+mtb shifter, but the rear worked fine.

I have these bars if you wanna try it out: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-belleville-config.html

I haven’t yet found a configuration where i really like these, i’ve ended up using some northroad knockoffs. you can borrow them or trade for some cool shit

im really thinking of making a surly pugsley into a townie/all terrain rando. a brawndo? the gnar mutilator?

Make sure you put fenders on it.

It never rains in the bay.
Fenders would be pointless.

gotta have fenders
not coz rain but coz i ride so fast
if i gotta pee i just do tri dork style
the fenders keep the pee from splashing back up on my work clothes

[quote=oogenssssss]I have these bars if you wanna try it out: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-belleville-config.html

I haven’t yet found a configuration where i really like these, i’ve ended up using some northroad knockoffs. you can borrow them or trade for some cool shit[/quote]

thanks, bud, but I think I’m gonna go with the Northroad knockoffs as well. You get the Soma ones? You like em OK?

bought these because they were so cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIty-Hybrid-Road-Trekking-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-25-4mm-/290603585040?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a952ce10

heavy, but they work as bars for your hands

Here’s my current thinking. Give me better suggestions if you have them.

• Delta Hi-Rise (45*) stem
  • North Roads
  • Some bar-end shifter -- I need recommendations! -- I'm running 10-speed SRAM
  • Those Jtek Aerobrake things Dylan posted about

Poke holes in this, please.

north roads are for mtb brakes, won’t fit bar end shifters

There aren’t many cruiser bars that accept barcons, the velo orange porteur bars are closest to north roads and will accept them as long as you get the road version

sram makes nice 10 speed bar ends which are carbon and return to the center after every shift. totes awesome, but expensive. i imagine shimano 10sp units will work fine for less money since the front is friction and the pull ratios are the same for the rear.

if you go with the north roads, consider the tektro fl750’s. they look like old school mafac levers without the bullshittery.

The Soma Oxford bar does: Oxford Handlebar - Soma Fabrications

I’ve been thinking about doing something similar on my LHT for a long time. Also adding a basket for extra townie points. I keep putting it off cause I keep funneling money into the cross bike, though.