Your bike is dead. Don't cry or yell at me

Ever look at something that’s broken and think… “wow, how did that not break sooner?”

7 Likes

Was this an over-torquing situation?

1 Like

Ok, well this shop was recommended to me (by the person who did my fit, which I rated maybe 30% good) for Bullitt service.

sounds like a winner

yeah, my mental health

4 Likes

Canyon made an insert to combat this, customer service should help if they’re the original owner.

2 Likes

see that expander plug way down there below the stem? that serves as a star nut (bearing preload) and something to brace the carbon from the inside so it doesn’t do just that

1 Like

Ah–I get it. Thanks.
I wasn’t reading the pic correctly in 3D, and I was seeing some kind of odd eccentric plug with a mysteriously out-of-focus shiny part in the middle. Now that I see it as a deep view down the inside it’s hard to make my eyes see it that way again.
So “tighten until you hear the crunch” behavior was likely involved, but not for the reasons I was thinking.

the service dept seemed good. this was just front of house/door guy

You would think that, but no. Canyon also has this silly little bolt for the top cap that requires the plug to be buried that far into the fork. You’re right that pretty much any other carbon fork from just about any other brand will have a MUCH better expander plug design.

This makes sense. Customer is original owner and has submitted a claim. Hopefully this is smooth.

But man, what a bone-head design.

wait, that was installed as intended? that’s real dumb

I’m still kind of asking–is this failure due to forces applied at assembly, forces applied during use, or both? Or unknowable?

I’d say unknowable. But if Canyon designed a fix (but was half-assed in deployment) I’d say at least 60% bad idea.

It’s two grub screws that push the wedge in and it doesn’t take much for it to work. But also, no listed torque specs on the stem either.

oh that’s worse than i could possibly have inagined

also, no listed torque specs on the stem either.

Should be right here;

‘German Engineering’ IME

oof

hopefully canyon fesses up, I’ve heard some bad warranty stories

If it was there, it isn’t now.

That “HS1” graphic isn’t there either. Maybe a different model year?

I had a customer come in with a Fuji tri bike that had a seatpost slip and crack the inside of the frame. When we called Fuji they asked what it was torqued to. I asked them what it should have been torqued to because there was nothing on the seat collar and no specs given in the documentation on the Fuji site. They warrantied the frame. :joy:

But yeah, I doubt this is an over torqued issue anyway. It’s a driving a metal wedge into an unsupported carbon tube issue.

2 Likes

They gave this guy heat already about headset bearings. The upper was replaced 6 months ago and was already completely crunchy with corrosion. When he asked what the warranty was on their one of a kind proprietary bearing they told him “it’s normal to replace your headset bearings every 6 months”.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever replaced an original headset that came with any bike/frameset I’ve ever owned, except for bmx or just because I wanted to. Granted, I live where there’s like negative rainfall per year, but there’s a lot of dust.

6 Likes