Your gearing

I’d like to hear how the change feels. I’ve heard the bigger rings will be easier. Makes sense to me tension wise

48/17 wherever i need to go

[quote=“peedtm”]

I’d like to hear how the change feels. I’ve heard the bigger rings will be easier. Makes sense to me tension wise[/quote]

Oh shit, coulda sworn 49:16 was 1 patch, I never actually looked at the chart just the math wrongly in my head. Oh well… still going to the 52t.

My gearing is 39/51, with 12-23 in the rear.

49x17 with 700x38 Conti Travel Contacts, 78.7 gear inches. Front & rear brakes on the Cross Check.

No real steep climbs on my regular around town riding but not much except down by the beach is flat for very long. I had 42x16 first but this is better all around, just about perfectly matched to the speed of traffic here. Love it.

[quote=“peedtm”]

I’d like to hear how the change feels. I’ve heard the bigger rings will be easier. Makes sense to me tension wise[/quote]

Can you remind me what the yellow boxes were for on this chart?

43/15 fixed, front break, kinda hilly Redmond/Everett/Seattle. Although I’ve been thinking of trying 40/15 for a change.

46x17 in Portland, no brakes.

42x17 on the Tri Cross with brakes.

I think it was noisebeam’s desired ratio of 3:1

48x18

A brake because I respect my knees’ wishes.

42x15 :colbert:

tarck bike is 50/18
vintage road bike is 42/53 with 13-21 6 speed freewheel
modern stuff is going to 42/52 with 11 or 12 through 26.

+1. Sheldon rode that too.

49/18
73.5 gear inches and a front brake.

+1. Sheldon rode that too.[/quote]

You guys are as powerful as an ailing old man. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

i get 49/18 as
71 gear inches
with 700c wheels

^ yeah, i didn’t enter the correct wheel size.

49/16 on the speedy one.
44/16 on the one that’s less speedy.
It’s kinda weird, but the easier ratio on my Schwinn doesn’t really even feel that different from the harder setup of the Trek. I’m guessing that this has lots to do with the extra flexiness and weight of the Schwinn’s frame. And maybe the psychological effect of riding with full fenders just automatically makes you go a little slower. Who knows.

and my thighs are only 24", i’m a big ol’ poosie.

+1. Sheldon rode that too.[/quote]

You guys are as powerful as an ailing old man. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.[/quote]
I also attend “Hills and Stairs University.”
:colbert:

mines 44/16 at the moment but i will be going to a 48 very soon. I just got this bike back from the shop and they put a 44t chainring on it. it’s not to bad but it’s a little to easy.