Your gearing

40x15 and 48x18 on my two party fouls

Both my steamroller and my xcheck are 49x17 for 77 gi on the dead flat streets of chicago.
I’m thinking about setting the xcheck up 1/9 with a trigger shifter though.

edit:'roller has a front brake check’s got front and rear for instaskidz.

44/15 for about 78 gi’s
some rolling terrain, but mostly flat with lots of false flats
22" thighs, but I havent really ridden in a while, as soon as I get my rollers in, they will be back up to size.

4417/15 depending on mood - fixed
16 - fixed
46* 18 - ss
52/42 * 13/15/17/19/21/23/25 - road (i think)

[quote=“frankstoneline”]44/15 for about 78 gi’s
some rolling terrain, but mostly flat with lots of false flats
22" thighs, but I havent really ridden in a while, as soon as I get my rollers in, they will be back up to size.[/quote]

rollers have almost no resistance, if anything they’d make your thighs smaller/more lean if you rode them tons.

You gotta get the fan

46x17 with a front brake in Northern Virginia.

Chris

Yeah I’ve got a set of rollers with a fan and you get great workout.

50/19. just under 70 gi in really flat terrain. i like high cadence riding but sometimes i’ll spin out on slight downhill grades.

That’s lame.
I’d hate not being able to bomb hills.

49:18 for 72.5 gear inches. Portland, so not super hilly. Front brake.

[quote=“FarAwayBoy”]That’s lame.
I’d hate not being able to bomb hills.[/quote]

there really aren’t any big enough to consider it ‘bombing’ here. the only time i spin out is if i’m racing on a few roads on the other side of town that i usually don’t ride.

and i really love how it feels when my legs are on the brink of not being able to keep up and i gotta try really hard to keep my ass from bouncing around. makes me really feel like i’m going faster or something? i dunno i’m weird.

and i really love being able to destroy people with over-geared bikes on climbs.

76-105 track generally race around 92
69 fixed commuting some really steep hills nothing too long.
73-85 fixed road(super flat usually in a pace line)
34-120 geared road
33-103 geared cross/commuting
62 ss cross
49 ss mtb
21-98 geared mtb

42x14 fixed. Front brake only because skidzzz are impossible.

49x16…some moderate hills. some pretty decent sized ones, too, that i’ll hit sometimes to keep my shit in shape. i use a brake. i didn’t for quite some time, but i do now. i put it on a long time ago for a century, was too lazy to take it off, and then just got used to having it.

i do have a friend who rides 53x14, no brakes. i think it’s ridiculous, but it seems to work for him, as he stops just fine and makes it up all the hills everyone else does, and some others can’t. go figure.

In ATL:
50x17 commuting
50x18 if I’m tired
No long hills, but nothing is flat.
No brakes

In CNX:
50x18 all the time
Completely flat.
No brakes
I just didn’t like having to mash all the time to keep my cadence up when riding 17t. Straight, flat roads somehow suck away your power. Sometimes, if I felt like having fun, I’d put on a 16t and draft behind trucks at 40mph.

On the road bike:
50/36 x 12-25
I spend most of the time going between 50x17 and 19. I really want to build my own cassette so I can get a 18t. When I’m out for a workout I’ll be in the 15 or 16 (not too often).
When I climb, I generally hold 36x19 and 21 for the first 10.5k. The last 500m is 10%+ so I’m in 23 and 25.

49:16 street
53:16 track
46:17 on the beater and inclement weather

till his knees fall off, anyways.

If you hit a hill from a dead stop with a big gear it sucks really hard, at speed though it should be manageable. I rode 49:14, which is 92 GI or something, brakeless for about a month because I liked trying to keep up with the cars during the all-green light sequences, stopping was only a bitch when I had to do it quick. I stopped riding it because you need to be able to skip with either foot forward and I couldn’t do it. I was working on that gear so at the end of the day I was extra tired. Unless you live in like Florida or someplace ultra flat, there’s no need to ride more than 80/85 gear inches personally. But if you can push it and don’t get any knee pain when you’re off the bike, it’s all good.

There was a guy around here how pushed 50:13 for years and did some ridiculous shit on his bike. Would take sections of the highway like it was nothing. Scary…

I’m currently riding 49:16 and occasionally switch to 49:17. I really, really like 49:17 for cruising and the quick acceleration but I feel I spin out on it. 49:16 is 80GI and perfect for me. I can tackle all the hills around here (honestly the biggest hills around here are the bridges) although I’m gonna go to 52:17 soon for the the same GI, but I go from 1 to 17 skid patches, although I don’t skid much at all. I skip when going down hills… that’s about it.

Also we all know big chainrings look cooler.

[quote=“Tbirdbassist”]
I’m currently riding 49:16 and occasionally switch to 49:17. I really, really like 49:17 for cruising and the quick acceleration but I feel I spin out on it. 49:16 is 80GI and perfect for me. I can tackle all the hills around here (honestly the biggest hills around here are the bridges) although I’m gonna go to 52:17 soon for the the same GI, but I go from 1 to 17 skid patches, although I don’t skid much at all. I skip when going down hills… that’s about it.[/quote]

how are you going from 1 to 17 skid spots for 49:16 to 52:17?