You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

Found this Big Ben Plus HS 439 (20 x 2.15) on sale and have been looking for a tiny bit more front end cushion from the Marathon Plus HS 440 (20 x 1.75) that shipped with my Grin Tech wheel. Stoked to discover that it fits under the Planet Bike ALX fender! The commute into work today was way more smooth, ate up potholes without flinching and the rounder profile of the tire made turning at speed less sketchy. Discovered I could lean the Cycletruck saddle on the wall to work on the front end without breaking out the repair stand.

6 Likes

I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how the Big Apples ride. Super cushy but roll surprisingly well.

For the last couple years I’ve had some absolute brick tires on my cargo, even some ebike specific 20" on the front, because I absolutely do not want to deal with flats, but maybe there’s a middle ground between a powerblock and the turds I’m using.

The middle ground is called finish line in your tubes.

5 Likes

gospel

1 Like

Wasn’t sure where to post this… so I started a new thread!

Figured cross-posting here was reasonable.

Here’s my bike on the way to the garden with six gallons of water and Ash’s big box of seeds.

8 Likes

How are you liking the side strap things that @Straws made for you? I’m always considering getting rid of the wooden box that I got for my Supermarche, but want to make sure I have a good alternative before diving in.

Like this post of you zoomed in on the corvette

1 Like

They’re cool but I think they’d be more useful if I were carrying more unusually sized things like boxes of huge flower arrangements. I mostly carry water and beer and a little little boy.

Yeah, I wonder if I like the idea of adjustability more than I need it in practice.

Wanted a soft-sided cooler and got one that pairs really well with the rectangular milk crate on the Lorry. Fits snugly but enough room on the long side to shove some layers etc. Cooler fits 24 beers plus ice, probably more like 20 if you don’t pack it super carefully.

5 Likes

These animations are really fun:

9 Likes

Finally took the sides off the box to haul some garbage furniture

9 Likes

What kinda box ya got?

It came from this german bike shop called rad3. It has detachable sides that cinch up with a ratchet strap- they copied the riese and mueller style box to fit the bullitt.

1 Like

If you’re considering something like this you can get a similar box at Splendid Cycles called the Holde box

https://www.splendidcycles.com/products/bullitt-accessories

This became available like a month after I imported mine

1 Like

Blunt front end on that Holde box is going to be a real pain in the ass unless you have tons of clearance around wherever you park it.

I have a similar kid hauler wooden box on my Supermarche, two observations:
-the taper towards the front cuts down on what you can carry, a little, but it worth it for negotiating the bike through the world

-the seatbelts are great, but I took out the seat and put the cushion on the floor of the box, so that my kid’s helmet wasn’t getting poked by the various cables and hoses coming off the bars. The lower center of gravity is nice, too.

1 Like

Thank you for this link!

1 Like