You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

Let’s cram as many groceries as possible into my bicycle luggage, round ∞:

bonus! Let’s replace those burned out fluorescent tubes:

19 Likes

A+ veggie display

1 Like

This is like a game of “is Orc grocery shopping or disappearing into the woods for three weeks?”

5 Likes

Both!

here’s hoping we cross paths on our matching lorries this summer

I want an omnium but the Tarck experience is telling me otherwise. The minimax is like, 0 for 2 on happy Tarck owners?

1 Like

Found someone with not one but two Jack Taylor trailers. They are pristine and expensive

2 Likes

If that’s their ceiling bikes, what do they have at ground level

9 Likes

You could join the brotherhood of the traveling minimax, you know.

3 Likes

that looks like the most passive aggressive floor space compromise ever. “Ok honey, they’re out of the way like you asked”

5 Likes

It wasn’t that it didn’t make me happy, it just had some issues that I couldn’t deal with

Max cargo is 75lbs
The foot print is quite large and I was running out of space

I did like that it felt like a road bike handling

If I was delivering pastries or something light and could be packed flat then the omnium minimax is great

I still want to try the mini

75 pounds wow. That’s less than a Tubus Cargo

1 Like

weight limits like those are sort of like the tubeless tire guidelines I was carping about in another thread yesterday: sorta guesswork. I mean, the Raleigh Lorry has a weight limit of 25lbs for a rack that’s welded to the frame.

I think it’s just a generic CYA, right, not like they did FEA and scientifically determined the correct weight limit?

2 Likes

having worked with trek product/engineering folx on this sort of thing, there’s some amount of real analysis with a safety factor thrown on top.

might not be FEA in all cases but there are definitely engineering values for how much a given configuration can suffer and then they need to figure out where it will fail because it will fail somewhere if you push it far enough, and you need to aim to make the eventual failure less than catastrophic for the rider

1 Like

fair enough, particularly for big brands. I suspect that Omnium’s “engineering department” picked a number that would almost definitely be ok.

1 Like

idk if omnium stuff is ISO, but if it is there’s likely also some stress testing and failure analysis conducted with machines at a lab in meat space. i don’t know a ton about that stuff but i know it’s rigorous and might be required depending on what kind of business you’re purporting to be. @ProCracknfailBro knows a lot more about that stuff

2 Likes

I wonder if racks have standardized test metrics like forks and handlebars

im getting lowballed(?) for my bullitt. $2700. ugh.

I sort of imagine that rack ratings may be less conservative because if you destroy a Tubus you are out like $150 max but if you wreck the front of your Omnium it’s a little more expensive

1 Like

In the case of the Omnium, it might be cheaper to break than a Tara, depending on how it goes:

1 Like