You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

This is mostly for non-kid use I think. We’ve got the big clear tent thing for rainy day kid hauling.

16 Likes

12 Likes

Can you imagine that thing falling over in the night and getting punched in the junk by a bike pedal

10 Likes

trying to make a tall bike practical seems like challenging fate

10 Likes

this was the funniest thing in 2009 bike culture:
CHVNK DCLXVI people did tallbikes in the 90’s because it was funny to watch your drunk idiot friends fall off of them, and then when the milennials discovered bikes the style got handed down like it was some Ancient Wisdom, and they had to backfill an explanation for them.

4 Likes

Yeah, tallbike jousting was a thing.

I ain’t gonna be mad about someone having fun on bikes though.

1 Like

1 Like

Someone needs to buy

7 Likes

8 Likes

Weird fender but ok

2 Likes

Looks like a 500 km race on a cargo bike.

4 Likes

Sleeping gear? Is it a stage race?

I, on the other hand, am not doing a 500k with my cargobike, particularly after I’ve shovelled 43 kilos of kitty litter onto the trailer.

10 Likes

So after dealing with an unwieldy burly kid trailer for a few years, ash is ready to join the cargo crew. We’re thinking that a longtail would be just the ticket. I was looking at tern, xtracycle and Radpower. Is the radwagon really so bad?
I like the tern but the price stings a bit. The xtra seems pretty good.
Do any E longtail drivers have advice for me?

That Radpower price is mighty tempting.
It’s bongs less than any other offering.
Does my distaste for throttled assist and hub drive preclude it?

paging @Jacobell who has opinions

There’s a cheaper term or you can get a benno ejoy and just put a kid seat on it you only have one kid.

The xtracycle swoop or rfa is rad but you’re in almost 6 bongs for the whole shooting match. You can probably convince them to give you a discount as they’ve been running sales but…

Love our rfa, put some miles on it this morning.

Old edgerunner in acoustic style is usually pretty cheap. You’re in flatland, even a teeny person can spin up in a small gear

1 Like

I do have opinions about this. I maintain a fleet of 20 Rad Wagons and have a whole bunch of customers on them. They are fine, but just barely. If you do buy one, budget $3-400 for a decent set of hydraulic brakes even though you live in the flat lands. I recommend the Tektro Dorado HD-E725 to most customers.

For a smaller rider, these bikes are incredibly unwieldy. Especially with kids and cargo on the back. Even without a load, they are a real pain in the ass to handle. They also use a proprietary (to bikes) tire size that they barely ever have in stock. The kickstand springs break and are hard to find replacements for. Rad battery QC is shit. They haven’t had many reported fires, but they have happened. Especially in places with a lot of snow and salt on the roads.

Other options to consider if you can shell out: Benno Remidemi or Boost E, Xtracycle RFA, Tern GSD. These will all be infinitely more joyful to use, need less maintenance and hold their resale value better.

9 Likes

Thank you for your perspective Jake, that’s really helpful. I’ll cross it off the list.
I just remembered the Yuba spicy curry and now that’s pretty high on the list. It looks pretty sweet.