You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

IME the yubas are barely above rads in quality but maybe things have changed since I’ve had hands on. Test ride a xtracycle?

1 Like

Had my spicy curry for 6 years, quality is great.

Tern GSD is the cargo bike which is proliferating most rapidly in my city but idk whether that is due to the bike or good distribution.

I would go for used analog bull8t with a diy electric bb assist so you aren’t locked into anything proprietary but that might be too much dither and lead time…

1 Like

the yuba is ibd quality and well thought out. the rad power is a rad power. different class of bike atmo

For sure. My experience is limited. Definitely rode a couple mundos that felt like the front and back were going different ways and it wasn’t the good kind of flex. That was also ~7 years ago so I’m sure they’re better now. Very much went to the store to buy a yuba and came home with an xtracycle.

1 Like

Unsafe to ride, almost unsafe to walk. This monster is so front heavy it nearly endo’s at every bump.

16 Likes

We have a new contender in the carry shit Olympics!

Unsafe? Check
Over designed weight? Check
Involves hauling smiling children? Check
Looks fun/stupid? Check!

8 Likes

The shop I worked at was an assembly and pickup location for RadPower.

I always felt like they were fairly well put together and accessorized, but with them (especially the big ones) regularly coming with cable discs they really needed a competent mechanic to set up just to be reasonably safe.

Also non torque sensing BBs made things exciting at high power levels.

Had a few wiring issues that Rad was pretty good to deal with on, thankfully no battery nightmares though.

2 Likes

Well I think we’ve settled on the Tern Short Haul since the main use case is carrying one child and a bunch of kid junk to the beach four flat blocks away.

8 Likes

nice! I saw that thing get announced, emailed the company, and they politely told me to chill out because they weren’t even shipping to dealers yet.

I’d like to hear what you all think of it, it’s between that, Bombtrack Munroe Cargo, or Omnium Mini for my next cycletruck.

1 Like

That thing looks awesome! It’s wild to have been riding cargo bikes since the Free Radical was the only commercially available game in town and now there are dozens of options and they’re all over the city!

1 Like

yeah, I was late to cargo, my first Edgerunner was 2015, and at this point I’ve still only had three real cargo bikes (longtail, cycletruck, and longjohn).

I’m happy that there are options, and my sense is that if you’re in Europe, you can get literally any configuration, any kind of motor (or not) pretty much off-the-shelf.

It’s really cool, and I too love seeing more kinds of more cargo bikes all over the place. It’s slow to take off here (Richmond, VA), but it’s kinda happening?

you guys with your no hills

1 Like

I bought an edgerunner when I was living in the bay area. Richmond VA is a bunch of little river valleys all put together.

I tried an edgerunner with no assist in the Seattle area and uh, nope. fine in Portland though.

1 Like

And you chose to live in one of the highest points.

Reefing the dummy up from the river is hard no matter which way you take though.

i guess you didn’t have season tickets to the Pittock Mansion?

@EndpointBraden I kinda chose it, also it’s kinda near my work and my kid’s school, so… But now my plan is to move downtown. Just gotta find a place that isn’t at $1m+ mansion in the Fan or a really shitty flip job in Jackson Ward.

2 Likes

Yeah. Good luck with that.

2 Likes

I don’t even want think about what houses are going for in Jward now compared to when I moved. I was thinking about buying a house back home in 2013 and trying to knock out a couple years mortgage here in the bay. Wish I woulda.

1 Like

Price increases have leveled off, though there’s still a steady influx of DC workers who can (now) telecommute most days. The 2010s influx of NY/SF/LA folks seems to have abated.

On the plus side, lots of new 2-4 story condo/apartment buildings in the east end, and Broad from Lombardy out to Willow Lawn got upzoned to allow 12 story buildings, so we might get actual density and housing options.

Most of the new development is kind of charmless, but it’s giving people places to live that aren’t 30 minutes out of town on the 95.