You're gunna hurt yourself: Carry Shit Olympics (aka the Cargo Bike thread)

These animations are really fun:

9 Likes

Finally took the sides off the box to haul some garbage furniture

9 Likes

What kinda box ya got?

It came from this german bike shop called rad3. It has detachable sides that cinch up with a ratchet strap- they copied the riese and mueller style box to fit the bullitt.

1 Like

If you’re considering something like this you can get a similar box at Splendid Cycles called the Holde box

https://www.splendidcycles.com/products/bullitt-accessories

This became available like a month after I imported mine

1 Like

Blunt front end on that Holde box is going to be a real pain in the ass unless you have tons of clearance around wherever you park it.

I have a similar kid hauler wooden box on my Supermarche, two observations:
-the taper towards the front cuts down on what you can carry, a little, but it worth it for negotiating the bike through the world

-the seatbelts are great, but I took out the seat and put the cushion on the floor of the box, so that my kid’s helmet wasn’t getting poked by the various cables and hoses coming off the bars. The lower center of gravity is nice, too.

1 Like

Thank you for this link!

1 Like

I’m going to buy one of those frame billboards with my face on it for you

I’ve already got two frame billboards that the guy that originally ordered this bike bought inexplicably. I’ll give you one to print your face on and then I’ll ride around with it.

Big boxy box can definitely make it tricky to negotiate tighter spaces, but now that we’re occasionally toting my kid’s training potty around it’s nice to have the extra cargo room.

2 Likes

Also I wish they made some other kind of frame bag or storage thing that could bolt up to those Billboard mounts on the Bullitt, lots of unused room there that could be put to use stashing snacks.

Meant to bring this up earlier. I have extras of the hardware used to attach the BIGANT (large) crate to the Lorry platform. Pretty sure there’s enough left for four sets of padded P-clamps and screws. You’d just need some 6mm washers and nuts.

Happy to send kits out for the price of postage.

Pics of hardware I used and where the crate mounts to the platform.

2 Likes

Not sure it’s as stable as yours tho. Wouldn’t recommend doing it with the crate deployed in service position.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder how standardized the containers for pallet sized delivery jobs are. Seems like it would be, but googling it got me a lot of nonsense articles about cool design student ideas for reinventing the city, which is not at all what I want to know about.

I guess I wonder about this because industrial cargo bikes get used all the time as a human fork truck in factories / logistics centers, but they might not have an ISO designated standard.

1 Like

That Japanese bike is pretty sweet but I don’t know that you get much more payload than a longtail. I guess you could probably carry some heavier things as long as they fit in the frame.

1 Like

The pallet seemed narrower than I’m used to seeing, maybe it’s a metric pallet.

The trike might be more about agility in the city than max capacity, the mini mini van of cargo bikes.

2 Likes

I really like that pallet trailer.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a euro sub pallet size, def not CHEP sized (1165*1165mm)

The tilting ecargo is cool and I can absolutely see that being perfect for metro takkyubin deliveries in Japan and major western metro cities.